Contact Info:
Team Size: 7

Services Offered:
Rates, if public:
States Available in:
Insured?:
OLCC Workers Permit?:

Hi,
I’m starting a CBD Ethanol Extraction company in NC. We are new at this. Looking at the CUP15 for extraction, then what’s best for solvent removal? rotary evaporation or ? we can’t afford the FFE yet. Also would decarboxylation still be necessary? We’re going to use -40 ethanol so the winterization won’t be necessary. Thanks for any help

1 Like

Free advice Ernie…setup a channel for sales before you expend capital in this market at this time. Do your due diligence with regards to the current market conditions. COGS vs current realized market price. Market demand. Good luck.

9 Likes

Start here: Ethanol Extraction White Paper

3 Likes

Rotary evaporators are slow and labor intensive to babysit and fill/empty the evaporation flask. Most RE’s are not optimized for speed out of the box, doubly so for the cheap import ones.

If you use water for your RE bath fluid you won’t be able to hit the temps necessary to decarb. Fluid which won’t boil under 100+C temps is expensive. Decarb is absolutely necessary if you’re going to go to distillate, anyone who can distill will charge extra for the time they have to spend decarbing that oil before they can begin distillation.

FFE’s don’t expose the material to high enough temps for long enough to decarb, and you still need to be able to pump the crude out so you’ll still need to do a little bit more solvent recovery and then decarb the output of a falling film, their tradeoff is that most are far less labor intensive and can run continuously versus REs that run batches. A team of 10x 50L rotos won’t evaporate & recover as much solvent as our 6-column BZB falling film, and the BZB is far easier to clean.

4 Likes

@etohxtractor is right. If you don’t already have sales channels set up I would be weary of making any capitol investment. The market has changed a lot in the last few months, due diligence is key. Also the CUP-15 is way overpriced IMHO.

2 Likes

Gotcha on the market…one of our partners in NC has cannabis broker/contacts in Cali wanting to buy crude CBD. Supposedly the CBD market in Cali needs high quality CBD from hemp … anyone experiencing this?

It all depends what you think you can produce crude for (COGS). $300 kilos of crude doesn’t leave much margin. check and recheck your numbers and then realize there are lots of less obvious costs you may be overlooking. Also where will the market be when you finally get up and running in 3-6 months.

1 Like

thanks !!!

Hi Ernie, If you need some help on cold EtOH extraction Pinnacle Stainless can help. We design and manufacture our scalable, turn-key extraction systems on-site here in the US. Everything we build is peer reviewed for quality and safety, and built with food regulations in mind. Customer service is our number one priority – we don’t make equipment, we provide solutions. So our products are supported with on-site training, trouble shooting, and a direct line to your account manager

Ern, I’m in CA. High quality CBD crude is in abundance here. I just bent to a $230 per liter price point to keep my team going. Once again, I implore you to do your due diligence. Compose an Executive Summary and extrapolate a pro-forma.

3 Likes

how about organic CBD ? is that attractive in the market now?

Hello Ern, if you need help in the area of filtration/purification, please let us know. We have many possible solutions depending on your process. Thank you, Greg gregh@heyesfilters.com 310-212-7777

Ignore all of the people trying to sell you equipment, hopes, and dreams- start small and practice actually making concentrates before you invest- figure out what kinds of products you want to make, and why.

6 Likes

well i’ve worked for some big herb companies and ran rotovaps , done QA, helped formulate products…that’s botanical industry and not cannabis. Those guys still macerate the herb with ethanol/water in a bucket and stir them, then press out after like 2 weeks at room temp, …so i’ve been there with that part of manufacturing. Cannabis is a different ballgame it seems !

1 Like