Ethanol Extraction for Small Start Up

Have you compared solvent recovery ratios from a washing machine to a panda? Solvent useage can make a big difference for some in $$ savings

1 Like

What’s going on guys. So looking at the panda spinner I wanna pick one up and start doing some extractions. Couple questions.

1. Can the panda spinner handle veto temps?
  2. Does it immediately start draining once there’s liquid in the vessel?
  3. What is everyone having it drain into because the spigot looks mighty close to the ground and I imagine at 3200rpm if I set it up on a surface to fit a 5 gallon bucket underneath it’ll shake itself off.

Thanks everyone.

1. I’m assuming you mean cryo… I ran it with chunks of dry ice still in the material, and around 2 L of ethanol still trapped in the material at temps likely close to -40°C without noting any problems.

2. It pretty much puts liquid out the moment you turn it on. I imagine if you poured liquid in it the liquid would literally pour right out the spout without being on or anything.

3. The spout only offers about a 5" clearance to the ground. So you’ll need a rather shallow, yet sizeable object that is easy to pour into another container, maybe a trough. I imagine a full run with it could contain 5-7L of ethanol that needs to be contained. It will definitely walk right off anything you put it up on.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you. So it’s more suitable to collect ethanol trapped in the bag/material then rather than to be used in the same way a bubble machine might be used.

1 Like

What kind of bags are you using for your soak?

I’m personally using full mesh bubble bags, but I’d been looking for an excuse to own a set already. I personally think they work fine, but I’m sure there are more affordable options available that are better suited for this application.

1 Like

I’d imagine quite a bit of particulate is still present with these bags… I filter my alcohol through 30 microns then 1 micron so I don’t end up with any sediment prior to recovering my ethanol.

2 Likes
  1. ?
  2. Yes
  3. Pyrex dish or raise it onto a platform. When properly loaded, it won’t shake itself off.

I mean you can just ratchet strap it onto something and you’ll be fine

8 Likes

We think alike

how to dry out material after initial flush? nitrogen?

is it possible to plug the drain spout and do extraction directly in the panda as opposed to lifting bag out of extraction vessel and then into panda? or is this not advisable?

Pandas are not floodable

1 Like

My Cryo bucket tek setup theres a 5 gal bucket inside the trash can surrounded by dry ice I’ll run 10 lbs with 4 gallons in 30 minuets and repeat

1 Like

What temps do you acheive with your bucket Tek?

Btw love the setup, never had any issues with Dry ice directly in my wash but then again I’ve never check the PH.
@BigHungryFarms

1 Like

Thanks @primO.Oil theres no dry ice in the etho it’s around the bucket
I use a spin lid so nothin get in there
Idk the exact temp my laser say err -38
It definatly makes a diffrence tho
My bottle neck is realy filters how do you filter 5 gal -40 etho super fast took me bout 2 hrs to run tho buchner funnel cold
I’m thinking some kind of keg filter from usa labs but still undecided

I rigged my hochstrum filter to pull straight out of a 5 gallon bucket. Takes about an hour to do 5 gallons at -80c.

6 Likes

I always planned to do smth similar with buchners but never got around. When do you put the lid on - what’s the level of alcohol in filter? Do you also have a drip tube on the inside?

1 Like

Is that snow on the ground?
That’s one advantage for cryo extraction we won’t have in the south.

1 Like

Are you using vacuum or gravity for your Büchner? With vacuum and a good Büchner should be able to filter in minutes if biomass is in bags and Etoh only has particulates. With a sock filter and vacuum takes seconds only.