Ethanol extracting non frozen very wet material?

Have a friend who wants to wash a bunch of their bud that was water washed for hash. We were talking about pressing it then freezing it and cryo extracting it.

Also talked about hang drying or basic drying to get it a little dryer and then just room temp ethanol washing it, I’ve never done it before but I assume it would work it would just ruin the ethanol and wouldn’t extract very well because it would immediately water down the ethanol.

Anyone dealt with something like this?

Appreciate y’all

For the sake of satisfying my own curiosity i have ice water washed spent material that was extracted via butane (nastiest looking “hash” I’ve ever seen lol) and i have also ran butane extraction on spent material that was ice water washed.

Neither were consumed, both were discarded.

Both results from both ends of the spectrum yielded pure garbage.

My suggestion… tell your friend not to attempt this, do not consume it and definitely do not sell it to someone who doesn’t know any better.

Don’t even waste your time on spent material.

The vast majority of goodies are looooong gone.

AND if he’s adamant about using the spent material, distillate is the way to go…

We used to steam extract terpenes from fresh frozen material, did thousands of pounds. We would take the wet material and stacked it on nets in a grow tent with a dehumidifier and then extract with -25c ethanol in a fuge. Worked well, And for crude oil didn’t mind the end product at all. lot of sugars from the heat of the steam distillation prior to extration but easily remedied with a liquid to liquid.

2 Likes

Rotovapping really watered down ethanol is no fun, plus all the water solubles you pull when it’s wet are pretty bad. It’s very much like you imagined already.

If your friend was washing their bud… chances are they have a freeze dryer of some sort for the down stream process after washing.

A freeze drier or dehumidier or both will remove water from things. The more water removed the less issues with ethanol dilution.

I see that there are plenty of people who are frustrated with the quality of products from these processes. I come from pharma - where we try not to leave any molecules of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient behind.

There’s always a way to reclaim things for to be the most molecule efficient. Whether or not its time efficient or cost efficient or energy efficient - that you will have to look at for yourself.

Certainly if you have equipment that is sitting idle - then use it and maximize your equipment up time. But don’t think about buying more equipment to do this thing - especially if you are only going to do it once or something.

I always test my spent material - I never want to leave more than 2% of the molecule behind. But then I also have multiple inputs and outputs. And there’s definitely been times when I wondered about the efficiencies - but almost always the molecule was worth the squeeze until that last 2%.

Do the math. See if doing it is worth the squeeze. Then do the squeeze. Or don’t if its not worth it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is what I suggested. Attempt a couple days of drying with it spread out and then cryo extract. They are a small lab so any possible usable crude to distill is big money here.