Ethanol extract question(to go Cup 15 or just a manual extractor)

It’s a learning curve for everyone - don’t feel bad. You will need that much solvent recovery no matter if you go manual - CUP - or CAPNA.

You need a centrifuge because much of the ethanol stays in the plant material. The CUP is the only one to address that within their closed loop. Most all other systems require an external centrifuge. A press is to get the very last bit plus other stuff typically after the centrifuge step.

All systems will require pretty hefty solvent recovery requirements. If you want to do 100 pounds a day you could potentially need to recovery 100 Gal of solvent/oil mixture a day.

Just have someone help you with the post processing math. Ask the guy selling the system how much ethanol will need to be recovered out of your oil and then you’ll understand (same with all systems).

2 Likes

Ok if I understand, you’re saying you need 100k worth of ethanol to start extracting correct?
That’s where that number comes from?

And ya I would have to buy an external centrifuge with manual because it doesn’t come with one

Seems like cup or ethos is the way to go.

Just keep in mind no matter what ethanol system you get - you have to take the ethanol out of the oil after you extract - that can be a time consuming and/expensive problem.

You would need several roto vaps or a good FFE systems to take all that ethanol out so you can use it again and then fiurther process the oil or use as is.

2 Likes

No.

Unless your plan is to blow it all off to atmosphere the way the pink house used to do with their butane.

You will need a way to RECOVER your solvent. A moonshine still is cheaper than a Faling Film Evaporator.

An FFE and it’s acoutremants is where the $100k comes from.

Doesn’t matter if you’re doing bucket Tek or using a CUP. You still need that liquor back in order to go again.

At less than $1k for a 50gal drum, you’ll need about $2k to start processing at 100lb a day.

If you’ve got a fuge and get 98% back (needs to go in the still still!) rather than 85% you’ll need more later, rather than sooner.

3 Likes

Ahh I get what you and GPG are saying…the rotovaps that’s right. That’s how you recover the solvent.

What’s the better option…rotovap or FFE?

You’ve got some reading to do.

Or if you’re in a hurry you might want to excersize what I refer to as the “buy a clue” option. by which I mean hire a decent consultant.

Nobody has time to learn all the pieces needed to make this work in the time frame they need to absorb it in order to have a hope of succeeding, so “you should buy a clue” is not a perjorative, it is an imperative.

7 Likes

Any consultants you or anyone can recommend?

I’m all ears

1 Like

Is no is ears required…

3 Likes

Holy crap I love this place

I’ll pay someone to consult. Robert Kiyosaki always said to pay the experts who have the know how
Thx so much guys

4 Likes

Lol Is that your walk in freezer @cyclopath?

1 Like

I wish!

Last guys did get me a walk-in freezer.
used.
came with a walk in 10C too.

they even assembled the thing.
however, the refrigeration unit was declared dead by their AC guy.
they used it as a product vault for a while.

it would easily have paid for the new compressor by doubling my throughput without additional investment in less than a week (less than a day by my math!!). assuming I invested another days (the rest of a day’s) output into a still and more kegs, I’m pretty sure I could have hit 10x throughput in a month or two of optimization.

I heard they’re still planning to spin it up when they can.
I don’t see it being quite as useful with the CUP they purchased… unless they hire the right wizard :mage:

Edit: redid the math. I could not have achieved 10x back then. I had not read this thread…and would have been limited by solvent recovery to about 4x with two 20gal stills. If I recall correctly I had asked for six of them.

3 Likes

Just gonna drop this thread here. I’m not personally in the market for this kind of production yet, but a grower we’re working with has already invested half a million in getting 40 acres ready for hemp for the 2019 season. So if all goes well with the small scale plans, we’re going to have to be ready to scale up dramatically by October. I was thinking an expensive FFE might have been the only option until I saw this bad boy and started asking questions.

Edit: Might as well drop this here as well.

3 Likes

Im going with a Cup 15… yeah buddy…

1 Like

have you checked out Acespinner.com? (shameless plug)

6 Likes

Looks right purdy it does! :grin:

2 Likes

Even this one is small. We are getting a 300L system with FFE as our starter system with plans to jump to a 3000L as soon as possible. Private message me if you’d like to talk about maybe a beneficial relationship.

You’ll outgrow it in a week and need to run 24/7 to make decent money. We are doing a 300L for $30k more.

Do you have a 110v version?

no, but I know somebody how might be able to hook you up. DM me and lets chat.