Ethanol Diamonds?

that’s why I like to have a GC on hand :wink:

impossible to tell from those pictures.
certainly not out of the question.

I’ve never gotten THCA to crystalize out of ethanol
all my “ethanol crystals” have been sugars so far.
('cept when working with “hemp”…)

edit: you’re right. it’s nap time…

1 Like

I’m stumped I have never seen this. And it’s from the second wash that seemed to yield nothing. Fork. I was gonna roto that to try out the acetone crystals.

Hmmm. It’s so white I don’t think any of the powders made it through, the only thing I have that is white is the alumina. My celite 545 is more grayish.

Some more pictures. It’s all over the bf. I decided to leave it and check back tomorrow. It kinda looks like sediment on the bottom, but the etho was 100% clear going in. If there is further growth tomorrow I think I could assume it’s thca crashed. It never ceases to amaze me that I feel like I’m in school constantly being surprised by new things happening.

4 Likes

The white stuff looks like this concentrate I made one time, that turned into a white granulate in the rotovap. I ran my stuff thru a. C. No d. E. That time

Nice. So you are also assuming that it’s cannabinoids?

Interesting that you’ve got the same result. Did it ever get tested?

That seems reasonable.

@Photon_noir has retrieved fairly large amounts of thca from the trash bin in the past. Minions had no idea what the white fluffy stuff they threw away was…

3 Likes

Ok, cool. I just got up. Gonna go check on it in a minute.

This is what it looks like now. Looks longer mini crystals to me. What do you guys think? I’ve never seen powders look like that.

Check your ph if it s low i think crystelization of cannabinoids is very possible
And the volume of it beeing something else seems out of line

1 Like

Only one way to find out for sure. Scrape out ~500 mg and smoke it.

I mean, lab analysis!

7 Likes

Ph is around 5.

What do you think about rotoing out as much etho as I can at 35c then jar it? I have 2.5 gallons more etho I need to get through, so I’m thinking running all that and hoping these will be like smaller seeds?

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t smoke it, but I tasted it and my tongue is burning now. I’m fucking confused.

I don’t want to derail this thread so I’m gonna start a new one to try and find out wtf is happening.

2 Likes

Ty for your kindness.

Ash from the carbon.

1 Like

@bg007
That’s a new one. What makes you think that?

I’ve rinsed carbon with EtOH and then rotovaped the filtrate and there is a white residue that appears as ethanol condenses down. But if you put that carbon over a cake of T5, there is no white residue that appears. DE didn’t seem to completely remove the residue either.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have t5 under. Normally 60g carbon to 150-200g t5. But I think i only used 100g t5 this time. I guess it’s not enough to catch it all then.

Has anyone ever noticed higher THC%:THCa% after using carbon powder?

I used to use a carbon cartridge filter, and now I use carbon powder. My test results in 2018 averaged 80.5%THCA : 5.4%THC compared to 2019 averaged 69%THCa : 16.2%THC.

I’m just trying to figure this out cause it has been affecting crystallization

1 Like

Based sheerly on consistency after using carbon I am tempted to say you are on to something.

source of carbon matters…

you changed sources.

are you seeing yield losses as well?
Or does it look like decarb?

you might just be the first one to chase this down correctly…

everyone else assumed it was the white powder they added

or other brands folks are using might not have so much ash?!?

could it be the ash that is changing your hash?

2 Likes