Ethanol CRC

What types of filter media do you like to use for color remediation on ethanol extractions

7 Likes

Generally the polar nature of ethanol makes remediation difficult. Try the @TheLostBiologist Tek or try membranes :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Here’s the link, man!

5 Likes

I have a hunch select ff and ultra clear mixed will work

4 Likes

Alright so where do you buy the ultra clear?

3 Likes

This was extracted with heptane denatured etho at room temp. Green as fuck. Then through bento and carbon, decarbed and rotovaped. Mixed with hexane and through mag sil.

Mag sil did all the heavy lifting.

21 Likes

I am guessing the bentonite didn’t do anything?

The Magali worked because oil was dissolved in heptane, not alcohol

7 Likes

Thank you! I still need to figure out how to link a thread :yum::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards this mentality as well

Just run ethanol extraction and fully recover etoh.

Then mix the crude oil with a solvent more suited towards crc and do it like you always do.

Pretty logical.

9 Likes

That’s what I did for etOH extracted crude. Re dissolve in pentane, filter, and then recover

4 Likes

“This is the way”

2 Likes

Works great on disty too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Did you measure cannabanoid loss through the magsil? I haven’t seen any confirmed data yet, but seems to be it steals cannabanoids pretty readily (maybe in butane but not hexane?)

Is that photo then distilled? Or is that just your oil?

Then distilled. Didn’t measure. We run to much for me to care. I’ll prob do it next time, but this particular run I didn’t have time to bother, honestly. I know I sound like an idiot, but that’s how or was this time.

Flushed with hex until clear.

3 Likes

Hexane would be slightly more favorable in terms of yield. Pentane would theoretically yield worse than hexane, heptane even better. However, the better the solvent becomes in general, the more stuff it’ll carry through, not only cannabinoids

2 Likes

Well the bento pulls a lot of water solubles.

you extracted with mixture of heptane and denatured etoh? or do you mean you used heptane and then redissolved with etoh

Activated carbon works for pulling out green and orange pigments.

To remove the more polar pigments you have to pass it through a normal phase chromatography column, With silica as the adsorbent. Take your ethanol extract dilute it with ethanol and then do a liquid liquid extraction transferring the cannabinoid to an organic solvent like hexane and then run that through the absorbent

2 Likes

Extracted with heptane denatured etho first (95% etho and 5% heptane). Then ran through bento and carbon. Rotoed, decarbed then dissolved in hexane and through magsil. Could have ran it through more bento when dissolved in hexane. But it’s down to preference at this point. It would have pulled more in hexane compared to in etho with the bento.

Then degummed with ph4, ph9, ph7 with brine.

3 Likes