Equipment Cleaning

Our lab is in the process of becoming organic certified as a split processor and I’m in search of methods/chemicals to clean our SS extraction vessels, tanks, FFE, and supporting systems. I’ve successfully used citric acid to clean heat exchangers in other industries, but i’m not sure if a warm soak of DI and citric acid will remove crude remnants. The catch is that whatever we use, it has to result in sterile equipment that won’t cross contaminate organic and non-organic products. Thank you for any help.

Have you guys tried Limonene?

1 Like

We actually havent tried anything yet, just researching. Our equipment vendor recommends just doing a warm ethanol soak, which we’ll probably end up trying. Hopefully our certifier will be on bored.

1 Like

Wouldn’t see why not! It disinfects and cleans all at the same time! Why you guys really need a clean in place ball for the SS vessels, they do wonders!

1 Like

Interesting. How does this differ from a shower lid functionally?

For GMP compliance you need to wash with an acid solution, a base solution, a neutral solution, then with clean ethanol in that order. We build Clean In Place skids for clients all the time.

1 Like

Yikes. GMP cert is on my to-do list, but I’m not sure if it will be financially viable with current market conditions.