Epilepsy and cannabis

How many people do you know that have epilepsy that don’t have the correct medication or do you have medication but it doesn’t seem to work. how many of you either watched a friend or family member just suffer and not be able to get any help. How many are you pro for children to have cannabis medication. I’m looking for new people they have ideas or have seen proof that cannabis does work. I have epilepsy myself and I believe that cannabis does work. But a lot of people that have the same condition as I do are very trusting and what their neurologist has to say and tend not break away from what their recommendations are. Let me know how you feel about this topic. I’m always interested in hearing people’s experiences and learning new ways to use the medicine.

2 Likes

It was documented that the little girl “Charlotte” was being treated with cbd oil for many many years before she passed away a while ago.

This is exactly what I’d like to hear about do you know when parents take the risk of doing that they take a chance that their child could be taken away from them and can be considered child abuse which is complete awful bullshit

You would have to do some digging. I think it was the Stanley brothers who helped her. Charlotte’s web cbd strain. They have tv documentaries about it as well.

1 Like

My mother has epilepsy. I watched her turn into a zombie from her cancer treatments + epilepsy medications. More times than I’d like when I was a kid and it was just the two of us at home, I’d find her on the floor seizing… or crawling to her bed because the neuropathy she developed from her treatments made it too painful to walk… and so on

Seeing the horrible things that these medicines did to her was really what made me decide I’m going to spend my life in the cannabis industry making medicine for people that need it.

Fast forward a few years and through the use of cannabis she has been able to stop taking a few of her medications and has been seizure free for a record amount of time now. The cancer has also stayed away. It’s truly amazing to see the medicinal benefits of cannabis first hand.

8 Likes

@CannaBotanist I’m glad to hear this. More people need to know not to fear :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Yes I agree. Something I’ve noticed that really turns anti cannabis people into believers is when I give them edibles that are high in CBD and low in THC.

It gives them a nice medical effect and also makes them feel good, but they aren’t stoned as shit. Had a friend’s dad with back pain and I give him gummies and chocolates that are 30mg CBD and 5 mg THC and he says they are life changing.

3 Likes

My wife has random seizures stemming from mild tourettes and moderate fibromyalgia. We were on a dry spell from anything cannabis and after about 2 months of that she was having daily petit mals lasting ~2-3 minutes. Once we finally found something it fixed her up immediately. I could hardly touch her arm without there being some residual pain but after taking a few massive rips she was sitting there poking her arms and legs as hard as possible, excited that there wasn’t any pain at all. It was the only factor in her life that changed. I have no doubt that it was cannabis that fixed her up. We’ve always lived in legal states since I’ve known her and we think that it was masking her issues/pain. Coming back to live in a (very recently) medical state and waiting for the program to get up and running was terrible because it brought out her symptoms like never before. Never quitting cannabis until the day I die.

7 Likes

In the end I want large companies and small-time extractors to take notice that the products they normally wouldn’t be able to sell they could give away and help so many people

3 Likes

I watched a doc a while back about a kid in Colorado who had severe seizures daily and the thing that seemed to stop them almost completely was high thc edibles (surprised it wasn’t cbd). Kid’s mom said he ate about 600mg a day! I was like fuuuuuuck but his mom said him being “loopey” (aka stoned as fuck all day) is better than him having multiple debilitating seizures and I totally agree. It’s been a few years since that doc and I bet the kid has @Killa12345 tolerance by now.

4 Likes

Because the science isn’t really out there yet or proven that’s why I want people’s opinion and actual experience I myself have seen great gains in life with thc based anything edibles smoking capsules etc

My former brother-in-law has epilepsy. He still uses high CBD strains on a daily basis to combat his seizures. It was part of the reason I got into this industry, I knew he was using the products I was making, and I saw first hand the positive results of CBD/THC in conjunction with his medication.

1 Like

@chefrobert, you should check out The Forrest Initiative. It is a non-profit in the Pacific Northwest that provides cannabis medication to approximately 85% of all the pediatric cannabis patients in Oregon and Washington, free of charge. The positive impact cannabis has had on these families’ lives has been one of the strongest motivating factors for me to stay in the industry despite all the fuckery at every turn. If it weren’t for the kids, I would have likely gone back to another industry by now.

@cyclopath and I have worked very closely with the organization for many years and have seen some miracles happen in our time. We also provided the medicine for adults in what once was a thriving medical market for an additional nearly 200 patients, at one time. While cannabis is not a panacea, it seems to be the closest thing I have found so far. We have provided medication to well over 200 families, and while for some it has allowed their maladies to go into remission, for others, it provided therapeutic relief during palliative care.

Give the kids dugs! Well, give the sick kids all natural drugs that far outperform their pharmaceutical counterparts. Give the adults drugs too! Plant medicine for the win! I’m also happy to answer any questions people have about the Forrest Initiative or my anecdotal experience with helping sick kids and adults for the last many years.

6 Likes

Somewhat related, my first smokeable hemp flower customer to convince me of its medical benefits has the early stages of Parkinson’s disease. When he gets a shaking fit, he puffs a pre roll and the shaking stops almost immediately.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that happen too, although it was a 75+% winterized CBD BHO for the patient I was working with. flower had been helping, but this was dramatic and immediate.

1 Like

My mom quit weed alcohol and cigs like a regular normal "healthy " mom should for her pregnancy with me . Fast forward to my little brother and sister and same deal . She had a disorder during this pregnancy that she explained was like having morning sickness all the time . She couldn’t keep any food down . One day as a young child i was at the bank with my mom and she passed out and hit her head on the floor . They rushed her to the hospital the cause was because she wasn’t eating much food she was so nutrient deprived because she couldn’t keep anything down . She thought about smoking weed so she could eat but didn’t want to be a bad mom so she didn’t. My little sister was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubenstein tabyi syndrome . We always wondered what could have caused this and wonder if it was because of malnutrition during the pregnancy. We always think what if mom just smoked weed so she could eat food maybe things could’ve been different . As a side note my little sister is a blessing to all of our lives and is our princess and are thankful to have her in our lives . This issue with cannabis and pregnancy has always made me curious what’s everyone’s opinion ?

2 Likes

That’s really something to be proud of – we would love to do the same in our state. Great work @Akoyeh and @cyclopath

2 Likes

I have given out spd setups to parents battling for epilepsy in children.

8 Likes

That’s awesome let me know if your heart feels like giving again

5 Likes

Have had quite a few parents and mom groups reach out about CBDV for relief of seizures and similar conditions. Some research has been done by GW Pharma.

https://www.medicaljane.com/2014/08/13/study-cannabidavarin-cbdv-may-help-treat-epileptiform-seizures/

1 Like