Engineering Certs for parts build extactor

Hey y’all,

(Not sure if this post is in the right sub)

I’m working with a client toward getting a 40lb extraction unit up and running. I have some good sources for the parts up here in the PNW and was considering an in house build.
I would not be making anything, just sourcing parts and assembling it to my specs because it seems that no one makes it the way I want it. (mad ego there?)

I know that PSI needs some engineering info but as it will all be off-the-shelf certified parts… is this a really dumb idea that will lead me down a path of misery? I have zero doubt in my mind that with all the equipment suppliers that I could make something beautiful but there ain’t no point in that if I can’t run hydrocarbons through it.

Thanks for any pointers,

doc

1 Like

@RogueSky?

1 Like

no issue building it yourself first thing we did before using any hydrocarbon rig was a hydrostatic test. if I remember correctly we needed a detailed list of were parts were sourced from and contingencies in the event of a failure. How to Conduct a Hydrostatic Test on Ductile Iron Pipe - YouTube

2 Likes

This is just an example of a project friend wanted all in 1 extraction distillation unit but like you are seeing no 1 place has everything we needed.

Eventually was certified for use IN C1D1

1 Like

interesting watch but not sure how that applies other than having a liquid pressure test. The video used ductile iron with pressure fitted lines, that would be an interesting hydrocarbon build :no_smoking:

video just shows how to do the test pretty much just hook up to your extraction for safely testing pressure for the review. this was needed over a decade ago not sure if this still applies.

Interesting, looks like you have that column over material column design (surge/expansion columns?) similar to extraction solutions.

If you don’t mid me asking, why no sight glasses? I love being able to see fill and empty levels in the material columns.

I’m sure that, in some variation, would still be applicable plus the other stuff they pile on to justify their existence. Don’t get me wrong, this should be certified and controlled for safety but some of the tests seem non-sensical…

I’ve been in manufacturing for years and designed many systems but I am a chemist and always passed it off to engineers for completion. I really want to build one the with all the goodies that I always look at on pre-built and ask why, just freaking why?

This is a very early design of the system it was designed for pneumatic ball valves on a single control panel paired with a TV for monitoring psi,temps,hydration. 1person 10ton daily through put. Theres 1 sightglass in each 8" spool and its hard to see but there is a rack to the far left that has the rest of this apparatus. We eventually had to upgrade the lines to 1.5" and 2" spools with inline sight glasses and a 400gallon washing vessel and 200gallon liquid storage as we swapped to ethanol since the something to do with the C1D2 license was cheaper don’t really remember. But the build started as a propane/butane mix until the very end. ya I agree wish some of these company’s has better service and would work on building easy user friendly safe to use designs.

my last modification I suggested before we finished was getting a camera system and watching all the sight glasses on a separate monitor so the controller doesn’t need to walk so much to get information. floor space was roughly 4’x46’ for the entire thing.

Nice!

Yeah, C1D2 is much less expensive and stringent especially when the EtOH is run at atmospheric pressures. The inline cameras have me salivating a little bit. As an industrial R&D chemist we had a lot of amazing engineering but you start crossing the seven figure mark pretty quickly.
Be pretty amazing to have inline detectors similar to hplc even with a broad indicator of concentration of anything not propane/butane.

1 Like

@doc_simple It’s not a dumb idea at all to self assemble an extraction system yourself. It saves a ton of money and the systems we’ve reviewed can perform better to produce specific end products that you can’t get with off the shelf systems.

The sticky point is that if you’re a licensed operation then building codes, and OLCC if your in our PNW require either a UL listing OR a peer review report to certify system safety. That’s why groups like PSI and ourselves exist as dumb liscenced engineers to review the equipment and its intended purpose to ensure that you don’t blow yourself (or your neighbors) up during normal or even emergency events.

Yes, you can use off the shelf components and stick to Swagelok or other very reputable brands for fittings and hoses. Buy from reputable vendors for columns. Most everything comes from China that’s cost effective and everyone has their go-to vendor, but I have seen parts fail well below their supposed pressure rating. Any column over 6 inches diameter needs to carry a ASME stamp, so, either purchase up to 6 inch columns or pay the extra money for a stamp. You can’t effectivly ASME stamp after you buy the fat column or tank, so buy right the first time.

Testing is a critical element as one person noted. Technically speaking, you’re supposed to pressurize to 1.5 times the worst case operating pressure. Do not do it with air alone. Fill the system with water and then provide air pressure. Air alone makes a bomb if it fails catastrophically, the other makes a big puddle.

Hit me up separately and I can talk you through this.

6 Likes

Thanks, had a decent interaction with PSI on our reviews, wouldn’t call you guys dumb. I save that for off the shelf system designs :slight_smile:
We are still in the discussion phase as to which direction they want to go. Ultimately it will be in New York, but I would probably build and ship if we do this.

Last machine I worked on had 8 inch asme and I found it to be kind of miserable to work with / source replacement parts for.

If we go this way, and I hope we do, I’ll hit you up to discuss. After a while doesn’t everyone want to make a custom system?

2 Likes

What ya doing with a CLS in New york?

They haven’t even released mfg licensing info yet.

NJ just started permitting few weeks back.

2 Likes

Yes, and if this were any other well-established industry a company would employ its own engineering department with PE’s to sign off on internal designs.

Cannabis isn’t quite there yet (except for a handful of the biggest players), but it’s quickly getting to that point.

1 Like

We are working In NY on various projects to get the Hemp processor’s up to speed on cannabis processing.
At first cannabis processing licenses will only issues/grandfathered to successful Hemp processor’s in the state of NY.

We have PE’s retained/on staff and do exactly what @mcpikeig stated.

@mcpikeig you can retain a PE to review items, but having them hired/employed full time is a potential conflict of interest and nullifies the cert from being a true 3rd party review, as many AHJ’s and building/planning depts require, in the USA.

2 Likes

they are buying 2 existing hemp operations I believe. One is a couple hundred acres in the hudson river valley. Beautiful area.
As I said, we are in exploratory phase of setup and are exploring all options but (always that big ole but) I’m a consultant these days and don’t always get all the 411.

As I’m sure a lot of you know, cookie cutter labs are easy. I want to do something interesting.

Absolutely correct but those on-staff engineers do all the work and peeps like PSI review the plans and look at the pictures to verify its correct and to code.

I know the codes, for the most part, and improved my fair share of extraction systems. Except CO2 that’s just to dangerous to screw with and besides, CO2 is gross without a lot more work.

1 Like

All of the parts at Xtractor Depot from the fittings, hoses, valves, gauges, racks are all 3rd party peer reviewed for hydrocarbon extraction and can be built in many types of configuration that is deemed compliant and safe and peer reviewed for just $5k. We can also build custom parts as well if we don’t have something you’re looking for. Our off the shelf certified Titan systems come with training and access to our XtractorPros team and are often times the most popular option if you don’t have time to build something custom. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

3 Likes