Elderberry extract

Is anyone extracting elderberries? I bought 20lbs and I’m going to start working on it soon. Apparently lectins can be problematic and are typically remediated by boiling in water. I’d like to know how to remove or degrade these pesky lectins without heat to make a fuller spectrum extract without heat degradation of the target components. I’m thinking room temp or cold etoh soak and a lectin lysing enzyme treatment then filter through paper and celite, roto out most of the etoh and cut with vegetable glycerin. Does that sound proper? I’ve barely starting researching it.
I need to know: what’s a safe effective enzyme for lectins?
Will celite, bentonite and or Fuller’s earth be appropriate or just filter out all the good compounds instead.
Also, wondering if boiling in ethanol would be hot enough, the interwebs are saying 10-20 minutes in boiling water does the trick, so maybe an hour in boiling ethanol?
I’d appreciate any advice
Thanks

3 Likes

None of these will adsorb cannabinoids to any significant degree.

Celite will adsorb absolutely nothing because its not an adsorbant media, its a filtration media.

Edit: Oops lol. The good compounds in elderberries are phenolic compounds right? If thats the case, fuller’s earth will probably take what your looking to concentrate.

2 Likes

We do have these filter products without Fuller’s earth if that is helpful. Thanks, Greg
• Filter Paper & Flat depth media for both clarification and color remediation;

3 Likes

I’m still looking but it seems we want the chlorogenic acids, flavonol glycosides, anthocyanins and other polyphenolic compounds, along with an assortment of common vitamins, some shikimic, succinic, citric, and malic acid.

1 Like

I think you would probably get more benefit from using a series of ion exchnage resins for the purpose of separation.

https://www.bucherunipektin.com/en/beverage-technologies/products/adsorbers-ion-exchanger

1 Like

Good info, that looks like the way to go for a highly refined product. My main concern is remediating the lectins and I’d really like to do it without water. Ideally without heat, but it should still be good if we can’t figure it out and have to boil it.
I feel like water based is going to have to be refrigerated to stay fresh.

1 Like

Im not sure what you mean, you can use all different types of solvents with ion exchange resins.

Sorry, talking about two different things at the same time. Ion exchange looks great, but I’m going to try to make it happen with stuff I have on hand first. Most people are boiling in water for 20 minutes to remove lectins, they say you lose 10% of the phenolics that way too, so that wouldn’t be terrible but then you have all that water for microbes to grow in.

Couldnt you dry the extract with a common dessicant and then rextract with a low boiling polar solvent?

1 Like

I know nothing about the extract constituents but don’t forget good old mechanical separation or cold pressing. You can force out a lot of things using simple pressure and filters. May be a useless in this case but just a thought

Do you have the tertiary properties of the lectins?

Still getting an idea of what the major components actually are. Here’s what I’m reading.
Sambucaceae species contain a number of lectins that share a high amino acid sequence homology. Some of these lectins have the N -glycosidase activity characteristic of type II ribosome-inactivating proteins or RIPs [21]. Common elderberry ( Sambucus nigra L.) contains type II RIPs in bark (nigrin b-SNA V, SNA I and related proteins), fruits (nigrin f) and seeds (nigrin s) [5]. Dwarf elder ( Sambucus ebulus L.) also contains type II RIPs referred to as ebulins in fruits (ebulin f), leaves (ebulin l), and rhizomes (ebulins r1 and r2) [22]. In addition to RIPs, Sambucus spp. contains D-galactose-binding lectins devoid of translational inhibitory activity [5,23]. Fruits likewise contain the monomeric lectin SNA IV [24], whose amino acid sequence shares a high degree of identity with SNA III from seeds and SNA II from bark [25,26].

Elderberry pollen, blossoms and fruits have been found to contain the allergen Sam n1 that triggers type I allergy [27]. Certain Sam n1 tryptic peptides display a high amino acid sequence with Sambucus lectins and type 2 RIPs [28,29]. This led to the hypothesis that the Sam n1 allergen could in fact be a member of a broad allergen family present in Sambucus [28]. S. ebulus lectins ebulin f and SELfd have been shown to be resistant to a simulated gastric fluid but highly sensitive after short-term heating [28]. This tallies with the general belief that resistance to gastric digestion correlates with the allergenicity of food proteins [30]. Nonetheless, gastric labile allergens and gastric resistant non-allergens have been reported

1 Like

If you can link me that would be great.

I have a few ideas on how to Separate

1 Like