EHO Color Remediation

It’s OK lol. I didn’t lose any sleep over it. It went into CBD crystals in the end, and that fixed it fine.

1 Like

There’s also the possibility it was caused by a reaction between the ethanol vapor sorta refluxing on the polyurethane lid of my vacuum chamber. My recovery method was somewhat barbaric.

FWIW

Copper pulls sulfur but requires a number of pass’s to accomplish, back in the day we polished pennies with vinegar to clean them up and then put them into our solvent:resin solution (10:1) and leave warm until the pennies collected a green residue.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it recommended to use copper scrubbers to take advantage of the increased surface area. I like the idea of applying heat to speed up the reaction too. Never gave it a try myself. I still agree you’d want to expose it to clean copper until you could no longer note a visible reaction. Just because you can’t taste or smell it anymore doesn’t mean you shouldn’t aim to remove it if it’s still present enough to react.

1 Like

You’re using your powders wrong.

6 Likes

I actually brush with a carbon toothpaste like that. Different brand though. :grin:

2 Likes

I feel like adding dry ice directly to the ethanol extracts cannabis as quick as butane in a way.

1 Like

Test the ph of your etho after extraction you will most probably have a crude with low ph (isomerization ) issue s lurking

2 Likes

@FilterGuy where can I get these filters from? And do they come in different sizes

Funny enough, the colder you get your ethanol, the longer it takes to pull the cannabinoids. Adding dry ice in large enough amounts is also a bit risky, as ethanol loves CO2. You can acidify your tincture by putting too much dry ice in. It pulls carbonic acid in, and many would argue that highly acidic solutions are not always good for cannabinoids. It can be off gassed, but there may have already been damage done if the ph dropped too low. I walked a fine line and feel like I got lucky!

6 Likes

could you by any chance elaborate as to why you use your Ethos at room temp and not as designed?
any thoughts on the Ethos?

Im kinda shooting myself in the foot.
My ethos is for sale.
The industry aka the picks and shovels
Are makeing a lot of money selling the next greatest machine,when in fact most of these
Are overpriced and not nessary.
I came upon my technique on accident.
Long story short,i extract at room temp
With a machine i have less that a grand into.
Once i evap my etho and have my crude,i go straight to sp.this leaves me with a nice
First pass color,with the execption of the cloudy transparency when it cools.
From waxes or fats i imagine.but thats not
A tested theory.
Then i winterize for a couple hours in a regular freezer.
Then run it through a lenticular.
2nd pass sp.
Testing at high 80 low 90 perent.

1 Like

Ethanol is not traditionally considered a hydrocarbon or an alkane. Technically it is a saturated hydrocarbon

2 Likes

got ya, well we are a fairly big organization with a huge facility and growhouse so we had to get rid of winterization due to time issues, its important for us to stay ahead of our competition.
if the equipment does what its supposed to do than money isnt the issue, again we are a big company and we already purchased the ethos but we havent yet got it out of the container.
are you generally happy with the ethos excluding the price you had to pay and the fact you changed mathods? does it get the job done? gives you clear extract at the end? removes winterization out of the way?

thank you very much for the info btw.

Bentonite clay has a specific affinity for chlorophyll molecules.

Magsil does not filter by pore size it filters by polarity which is why everyone uses it at least once in their process. Each powder filters in a different way which is why they all get used instead of just a sparkly magic paper filter that does everything.

There are no shortcuts. That is the wrong mind-set. Don’t be hasty. Be methodical and learn why each step is important not just how to race through it all.

10 Likes

Butane is an Alkane, Ethanol is an alcohol

4 Likes

Yessir. I stand corrected. Which comment of mine are you referring to? The skipping the silica?

The ethios only goes as high as -50
Understand that to get all of the product
From the plant you neef to be at -36
And then your still going ro be dealing with
The reds that i and others are fughting.
It will not be clear at the dist level.

Does it matter?