EHO Color Remediation

With carbon as long as you flush the cake with extra etho you will pull what gets stuck in the carbon out. Especially with warm etho.

2 Likes

The hotter you run your carbon scrubs the more of an issue this is. Also you can use neutral carbons to further reduce your losses. @Shadownaught has some amazing carbons that allow users to take advantage of the different affinities acidic, neutral, and basic carbons have with varying compounds. Hopefully he will add to this with more nuanced and technical finesse

1 Like

Cool good to know, not sure if carbon is an adsorbent or absorbent.
Adsorbent retanes and cant be flushed to be reused
Absorbent is like a sponge and can be flushed abd reused

2 Likes

They are sending me hard wood carbon. I gave to ask about it befor i give it a go

1 Like

Wood carbon is by far the best for color remediation, tried every type

1 Like

Im just concerned about what also it grabs. thc/thca, terps, ect

Thankyou for share your experience

1 Like

Everyone mentions the ac thca problem… I can’t remember if I’ve seen anything saying what kind of loss a person can actually expect though… 1%, 10%, 35%?

Me either, i have not done side by side lat testing yet

Someone brought up the problem with the lack of cannabinoid solubility pentane has at room temp and colder in the Heptane extraction thread. I’m going to try heptane myself. Possibly this weekend, but I’d really like to try it with activated alumina in the column stack as well, and that doesn’t come in till Tuesday… Got some silica, T5, and celite and a shit ton of B80 and magnesol though.

2 Likes

I’ve did a couple of ac scrubs after winterizing, and I don’t think it’s a very good method. It seems like it’s really pulling a lot of good stuff out.

I think perhaps ac is best used directly after the extraction. Or else if you’re making distillate, then doing it at a 3-5% ratio with a 5-10% clay for nice color.

2 Likes

Dred has been using aa in the bho crc.
Aa is super cheap and i like its water adsorbing abilities. Plus from what i understand it grabs reds. I will be adding it to my process also

In my experience, experimenting with both hot and cold scrubs as well as filtration bed, AC doesn’t seem to be very good at pulling anything other than green. Which a little birdie mentioned B80 also being good at, so I’m going to experiment with that to see if I can completely eliminate AC in my filtration. I’m a bit skeptical as to whether that will work with ethanol, but we’ll see.

3 Likes

I got scared of heptane after the red heptane thread a while ago. That’s why i wanna try hexane. That’s for the pentane info. Much appreciated. :grin:

1 Like

Somebody on here sent spent carbon in for testing and I believe got back 9% thc from the lab. This has led to the “wash with more/ warm etho”- tek. Put a gallon through after filter to catch most if you did 5 gal.

2 Likes

And rinsing pulls that thc back out of the carbon? I thought carbon was an adsorbent?

1 Like

Red heptane thread?? First I’ve heard of that. I’ll search for it now.

1 Like

Are you saying you used the same 15gallons of ethanol to extract 150lbs trim?

So, this was not done by me, it was done by ecodyst in house. 15lbs batches with 15 gal. Reused 10 times. I maxed out at 30lbs/5gal. Gonna try for 50lbs/5 gal once i get more material to confirm this though. Key here though, is doing it at room temp. It can’t be done at cryo temps, solubility is to low.

Edit: i do know that you can get 1g/10ml in etho cause I’ve dissolved that amount of bho in etho before. That means you can get around 1850g/5 gal which means that my average yields of putting 15lbs material/ 5 gal only gives me 400-600g/5 gal which is only a quarter to a third of its capacity.

2 Likes

Do you know of the amounts of adsorbants used on what sized plates?

@Krative
Was this question for me or someone else?