Effect of Moisture conent n Buomass during scCO2 extraction

Hi Again,

I have managed to get my dried bud and trim to an 8% moisture content. I was told that moisture impacts co2 extraction efficiency. What is ideal moisture content? How and why does moisture reduce my extraction efficacy ? Thanks for all advice.

Less than 10% is ideal, water adjusts the polarity of CO2 as a solvent during extraction, making it more polar. This leads to chlorophyll and other undesirables coming along in the extraction.

2 Likes

so the increase in polarity will attract the chlorophyll and drag it and the other polar nasties out thus reducing the quality of extract? I think I now understand. First one who explained it clearly, thanks.

1 Like

Can it be too dry for CO2?

I don’t think so. Typically Co2 extractions use material that’s decarboxylated. All the material we extracted was under 5 percent usually 1-3 percent. Decarboxylated bud is more efficient for extraction as well. Removing the carboxyl group on cannabinoids allows for the co2 to bind to them more effectively

1 Like

obliged. Drying my harvest now and it is pretty dry.

Are you processing it with co2? My understanding you can extract cbda and thca but I believe it takes longer and you need super critical pressure. We ran ours for 2hrs for decarbed thc material and 2.5 hrs for cbd

Not sure, I need to toll it out for extraction and I was just trying to remember how moisture played with the extractions, CO2 and Ethanol. This is our first grow.

Ive been toying with the idea of drying it in a vac oven but afraid to damage the biomass. Any thoughts?