Effect of elevation on cannabis cultivation

Hello all,

I’m looking for input on the effect of elevation and sloping environments on cultivating cannabis/hemp. I understand out west you folk may consider 1400-1800’ to be fairly low elevation, but those with experience and or education on cultivation I hope may have input on the subject.

The major considerations I have are,

When planting from seed, what is the optimal depth for the seed placement? Does elevation and or being on a slope affect this?

Considerations of water retention and irrigation at altitude and or on a slope.

Nutrient availability and affects on cultivation on a slope and or at altitude.

Any other considerations would be welcome as well

Thanks in advance for any input

Dear sir,
For starters get info on soil condition and the water to be used send to the lab
Next get a wheather history report at the nearest airport especially for wind direction and wind speed and light hours
Once you. Have this info a dieet can be made

That’s not a flatlander question. :grin:

2 Likes

We’re all flatlanders to them boys in the Rockies

2 Likes

Not sure what leads to these questions, but they seem to be misplaced at best.
Botany holds many mysteries yet to be unraveled. Altitude and slope are not factors I’ve heard much of.
Practically, I’d say slope is a concern when irrigating due to potential runoff and erosion. When planting seed on slope measure depth with geotropic growth in mind, ie not at a right angle to slope, but instead at right angle to gravity’s pull.
About nutrients, as people, do we feed differently at altitude? Oxygen availability at extreme altitudes is the only factor I can think of. That would extend to plants as the air is generally thinner at high altitudes so carbon dioxide would also be in shorter supply. So metabolism maybe marginally affected. But really seems non-issue especially at a mere 2000ft.
Again, much to be learned in a relatively young science. All questions welcomed. That’s my 2 cents.

About planting on slope. Think: terraces.
Rice terraces

Growing above the tree line is hard.

Wind and temp.

These caveats aside, here’s the scoop on temperature and elevation. If there’s no snow (or rain) falling from the sky and you’re not in a cloud, then the temperature decreases by about 5.4°F for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation. In mathematical speak that is 9.8°C per 1,000 meters. However, if you’re in a cloud, or it is snowing/raining, the temperature decreases by about 3.3°F for every 1,000 feet up you go in elevation. Thus meaning it’s a change of 6°C per 1,000 meters.

I expect the elevation to be to minor to change light wavelength
For it s known that cannabis grows high and hemp low in nature
Probably because of. The light intensity and wavelength

1 Like

drier conditions, lead to higher THC than CBD in the month before harvest- hemp tends to go “hot” when its subjected to heat and dry conditions- typically its drier up high right?

1 Like

Its consider microclimates. The same strain can grow differently from just 20 miles away. Higher elevation (at least in humbodlt) i seen plants stay yellow the whole run due to the cold and humidity. You would think cal mag deficiency but its not. It takes about one season to figure out your surroundings because every grow is different due to location. Growing on side of a mountain can be risky if you have not recorded the best spot for optimal sun revolving during a previous time… Shade can devastate grows. Also some mountains have strong gusts at particular times of the year. I can’t remember the website but they have one where you can see humidity, sunlight hours per day, wind strength and direction, and sun revolving on previous years at a location.

Seed selection i would look up land race strains. Trace the origins. Find similar climate as where they were found to yours. Than you will have to connect the dots on genetic evolution/mutation on what strains are available these days with having the orginal origin. If all else fails go to blue dream. I never seen a strain that can be so abused but still flourish. Stick away from boutique strains and stay with ones that have a reputation for starting a new spot. Plus they have a lot more information to dial down your seed. I usually get three strains thats seems best for the environment. Have three plants of each minimal. This will give you a flagship strain to start mastering and if a fluke happened you will tell because of having three of each.

3 Likes

Ive never heard this before, do you have any studies you can site? I Know cannabis grown at altitude or near the equator have higher thc content because of the increase in uvb. Equatorial sativas grow in the tropics, I wouldn’t have thought the environment would be dry.

3 Likes

Hmm, as far as I know, THC is a sunscreen in layman’s terms, that’s why historically the smokable cannabis or Cannabis India was grown high in the mountains. Dryness is good for the mold issues, but the light is where our drug comes from

4 Likes