Educated grower in Utah seeking new employment

Hi everybody,

I’m interested in seeking out a new position with a company that has some spirit and plays by the rules.

I currently live in Northern Utah but I am willing to relocate to Washington, Oregon, California, or Nevada. Anywhere along the West coast would be great. I was born and raised in Utah and graduated from Weber State University in 2013 with a B.S. in Botany and a Chemistry Minor. I have also completed the Master Gardener Program from Utah State University, Utah’s Land Grant school. I have several letters of recommendation from previous employers in the nursery industry. Prior to attending college I was a commercial pilot and flight instructor, passing 100% of my students on their first attempt at the FAA exams. Because of this experience, I can comfortably dig into regulations. I’m mechanically inclined and enjoy learning. I have the people skills necessary to work with employees, owners, contractors, architects, engineers, and so on.

I have a decent amount of management experience in a wholesale nursery environment. At one point I was responsible for 36,000 square feet of greenhouses as well as managing the planting schedule and the crews who helped me tend to those plants. Another role had me in charge of 85,000 square feet of outdoor perennial plants and 24,000 square feet of greenhouses, including a propagation house and the frequent operation of an automated seeding machine. Large scale plant production is my favorite position to be in. Extraction is an extremely close second; either position would be great. I will admit that I am new to extraction, but the processes make sense and I am able to dive into technical subjects. I am comfortable operating heavy machinery such as front end loaders, forklifts, tractors, and planting equipment. I can work farmer’s hours with no issue and actually enjoy some physical labor.

I did a lot of personal growing in California for nearly 2 years and, with the help of some mentors there, ironed out a lot of the issues I experienced. I also worked for 2 years at a decent sized medical grower in Oregon, who I helped transition into the recreational market. With that position I was able to fine tune my growing skills and got to experiment with a lot of equipment and genetics.

Why am I interested in a new position? I am now working for a company that is struggling to get their extraction facility up and running properly due to contracts they have made but cannot fulfill; lots of internally created red tape. We all know that there are some bad players out there, and I respect my current co-workers enough to not air this particular company’s dirty laundry. Me leaving essentially comes down to executives with no cannabis knowledge trying to make a quick buck without a proper business foundation. I’ve seen how noncompliance can rapidly take down any type of cannabis business and I refuse to bend or break the rules, putting the livelihoods of my fellow employees at risk.

Our plant has come a long way and I want to be part of the positive momentum. Thanks for taking the time to read through my short novel. If you can offer a related position, or know of anybody who has such a position available, please don’t hesitate to DM me to continue the conversation.

3 Likes

Love your name.

Haha yeah I realize it isn’t the most formal name possible, especially for a job request post, but one should be able to laugh at life right? It was also not self proclaimed but given to me :grin:

2 Likes

What’s up bro u ever hear back?

I hired him to sweep floors

2 Likes

Currently working for one of the medical cultivators in Utah, so the situation has sort of worked itself out for now :smiley:

1 Like