Edible potency

Hey guys, I did a search and couldn’t find anythiand I wasn’t really sure where to post it, so I’m going to ask here!

I made some gummies with distillate that tested at 92.8% total thc delta 9. Upon getting the gummies potency tested AND consistency tested with a reputable testing facility, the gummies are 103.07mg each, apparently with no hotspots in the 5 that were tested.

So my math isn’t adding up, and I would really love to be able to do the math to come up with a close estimate of what’s actually in them.

If anyone is able to help, I would greatly appreciate it!

My math:

I added 12.81g of 92.8% D9 distillate. I made 251 gummies total.

So please correct me if I’m wrong, but according to to my math they should be about 47.41mg each.

The math I did was 12.81g of distallite added, multiplied by the potency (92.8% = 928mg) so
12.81×928 = 11,887.68mg total mg added to gummy mixture.
A total of 251 were made (plus some lost mixture on the bowls and spoon)

So it should be 12.81×928 = 11,887.68mg ÷ 251 = my mg per gummy.

Or
12.81 × 928 = 11,887.68 ÷ 251 = 47.55mg each. But that’s less than half of what they actually tested at!

Is anyone able to tell me where I went wrong, or what I can do to better my chances of getting the math right?

Thanks so much in advance!

Heres your free spork

Please read the 2nd post down. Also, we have a magical search icon in the upper right corner.

2 Likes

12.81g*928mg=11,887.68 total mg

11,887.68mg/251 pieces=47.36mg

So your gummies should be roughly 47 mg per. The problem with dividing the total mg by finished pieces is you will have loss on your tools and vessels so you may be a few pieces off. If you truly had 260 pieces assuming 0 loss then your mg estimation goes to 45 mg per. With all that being said it doesn’t make sense that your lab said the pieces were 103 mg per. I would check you scales and maybe ask if they can re-test the sample

2 Likes

Can we see the lab tests? How did you homogenize?

2 Likes

I call horse shit!

no way all five gummies tested 103.07mg individually.

I’d bet money the lab couldn’t get that answer five times in a row injecting the same sample!

@AlexSiegel, @drPaul, @MagisterChemist, @dr_jebril, @drjackhughes, @anon6488101 may or may not concur.

6 Likes

Yeah okay, the problem was me!
I called the lab after I made the post, because it didn’t make sense that they were all “perfectly” dosed.

And they didn’t give me the consistency test I asked for, only the potency test.
But for some reason they did two potency tests and then gave me the average of those. Which doesn’t make sense, but happened due to miscommunication via email I guess.

Anyways, they said they would do a batch consistency test if I wanted with the left over gummies, but I said don’t bother as they told me one of the gummies tested at like 86% or something like that and another was 110% or something. So right there my consistency is shit.

So I guess the question I should have been asking is, How do I homogenize my mixture better?
Basically I just melt down store bought gummies and mix distillate.
I guess I need a homogenizer.
Anything specific I should be looking for?
I do roughly 5 lbs batches right now.

I was using an electric mixer, but I find it puts too many air bubbles in the mixture, which I’m not fond of.

Is there a good homogenizer I could buy that will work with the thick gummy substance? Or is there a better way I could try mixing without a homogenizer?

With a good homogenizer, how consistent can one make gummies?

Thanks again for all of your help

2 Likes

You’ll still see variation in the results but that’s due to inherent uncertainty throughout sample prep and the testing instrument. I think a 3-5% variance is actually very reasonable. You can certainly get tighter but at some point you can only be so homogenized and it’ll eventually come down to the lab.

The lab will usually run your samples in duplicate or even triplicate (triplicate is pretty standard) and then report the average of these numbers, I’ve seen that a lot. It’s a form of quality control. There are little to no check and balances for the labs like there are in other industries, so they have to do it themselves. By running your sample in triplicate, they can double check themselves by seeing that all three samples are ideally within x% of each other. If one or more is totally off, then they have something to investigate.

3 Likes

One thing to help get your concentrate homogenized evenly would be dilute the disty is a carrier so you don’t risk a gram or two of disty sticking to the side of the bowl or the tools your using. Not sure if that fucks with your whole adding disty to melted haribos or not. I would recommend MCT. When I made a lot of topicals I would dissolve each gram of disty in 5 ml mct before adding it to the mix. Just make sure u account for this during formulation

1 Like

Even a 1:1 in MCT will make it easier to homogenize.

3 Likes

I agree to using some kind of carrier or emulsification agent. Here are a few tips/suggestions and this goes for any kind of emulsion where you have an oil and an aqueous phase:

• Order of addition is EXTREMELY important. If you put the emulsifying agent into the oil phase vs into the aqueous phase, even if all amounts and other variables are kept the same, one may provide a stable emulsion one may not. Play around with the order of addition if you are having trouble but feel confident the ingredients should all mix.

• Consistent heat is important. I would suggest keeping both the oil and aqueous phases within a couple degrees of each other prior to combining. Furthermore certain emulsifying agents work better at different temperatures, for instance pectin should never be exposed to high heat for long periods of time.

• HLB values are very useful, stable emulsions are usually easier to obtain with more than one emulsifying agent.