Eco friendly ways to dump ran trim/bud?

Anyone have good ideas on eco friendly ways to handle high amounts of ran trim and bud from shatter runs? Landfill has been the go-to, but I’m positive there are some far superior intellects here that have some better ideas than just taking this stuff to the dump.

It composts very fast, if thats and option.

5 Likes

I also compost mine with a vermicompost system. Just let the solvent off gas first.

3 Likes

Ya mine’s un reconizable in 2-3 days tops

Will try to see if that’s an option for sure. Thank you. :slight_smile: only thing is, I process about 20 to 30lbs per day. Not even sure if that’s considered a lot to you, but do you think composting with hundreds of pounds a month is still a good option? Maybe I can find someone who wants it as mulch on their land?

Thats not a problem, 5 pallets 2 piles and rotate between the 2. Do it everyday unless shooting it into the woods with an air compressor isnt an option it is more fun than compost.

5 Likes

LOL thanks!

Here’s another question if you’d be so inclined. What (if you use) can be done with used CRC powders?

Most are minerals, worse case might mess up the eco system of your compost pile MAYBE. All mine go right into the same pile and no problems yet.

1 Like

yup this, as far as I understand it most CRC powders are pulled from the ground, you might be able to reuse dried celite as a bug repellent for the garden, Im not sure if the grade we use is “sharp” but diatamacious earth can be used to kill pest insects if sprinkled in the garden.

3 Likes

Yep celite around the potatoes keeps the slugs away

4 Likes

Good point really. I guess my true concerns were in the amounts of residual solvents leeching into the environment. I’m sure after they off gas appropriately they are negligible :man_shrugging:t3:

Unless you literally run to the pile there wont be any solvent left it will be bone dry and be mush in a day or so.

1 Like

They sell compost accelerators, might be worth looking into

2 Likes

It can be a liability in my experience to dump large amounts, at one point the property I was on any direction you wanter off into the woods a few yards and there would be piles of ran material from months past.

So if you are composting it make sure it’s unrecognizable and fully composted quickly.
Burning it is fun too

I feed my used powders to my plants. They look really healthy and i can tell they like it. Theyre stretching really tall and growing huge leaves

Mix 50/50 with your soil and use it for your plants. The powders have to be used for them to be negatively “activated”

3 Likes

1 Like

Depends what youre using to filter. I wouldnt be dumping activated alumina in my garden.

Maybe pesticides and anything else that could be harmful to the ground.

1 Like

True i only use clays and celite but i only feed them the clay

Ultra clear and w1

4 Likes

Would heavy metals be an issue if adding spent filtration media to a compost heap?

2 Likes