Easy Condensate Discharge from Roto

Anyone have a slick way to remove the oil after ethanol recovery like a DIY heidolph distimatic?

Yust place a ptfe 3 way valve on the
Incoming line and a vessel that can hold vacuum ( 2stage rotary) and suck it all out
Extend the plastic tube with a ptfe tube Tha touches the botom of the boiling flask
I swept it all for stainlessteel since the glass doesn t expand much by the heat
So well greased ns 36/40 male with a 13.2 mm stainles tube and a ball valve

6 Likes

Video please

1 Like

Just make sure the feed tube extends to the lowest part of the ball, and attach it to a vessel under vacuum to suck it back out, a keg is a common choice.

Rogue has explained a detailed method of this using a 3 way valve so that you don’t have to constantly move lines around

5 Likes

Was thinking about how I could leave the original tube to feed the flask and adding another that drops lower into the oil

A vacced down keg is super smart. Thanks

Maybe a carbouy for smaller batches.

1 Like

When I was still running a bunch of rotos we used a small conical fermenter tank with a dome lid that we added extra tc ports to the top for sight glasses and extended the legs so we could stick a 5 gallon bucket underneath to collect into

2 Likes

Pics of keg w/line and a 3 way valve

not my setup but the best reference I could search :octopus::v:t2:

4 Likes

Make sure you do not restrict the orifice of the motor to much for it will slow down your distillation
A 3 way valve works realy well
Jacketed was considered but I let that slide for the same reason the orifice gets restricted to much
As a result this only works to suck out of the bf if the crude is hot 70-80C

2 Likes

the real question is can i run a roto and suck down a keg with a piab?

If there is no vacuum in the system yes

Depending on the residual etoh content. We had a pair of 50Ls that left like 20% of the etoh and a 20L roto that finished it off.

Even at room temp that still sucked out of the storage keg just fine.

But finished crude hot out of the 20L was definitely the SOP

4 Likes

I discussed on this forum attaching a peristaltic pump to the discharge and just continually removing it. i had trouble preventing back-bubbling with a 3 roller pump. Someone said they got it to work running a 6 roller one.

4 Likes

yep. over in: Gear Pump on Roto

1 Like

it was my setup, and there is no 3-way valve…

AND

…the three way valve being discussed is for the inlet into the boiling flask, so one may also use the (extended) feed tube to (also) remove the cannabinoids from the flask by connecting it to an evacuated “slurp” tank. suggested; keg.

3 Likes

Seems like you could modify the AI feed to have a discharge port? Just need tubing to extend into the flask, FEP or PTFE or something

2 Likes

@Future says if you start adding stuff that blocks the hole it slows down recovery

But that looks really nice

Making the hole bigger seems pretty straightforward :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think that is the limiting factor as the hole size is determined by the motor housing on the roto

That doesn’t mean this won’t work.

1 Like

I knew what OP was getting at

Looked like a three way valve my bad.

I knew I saw something similar to what the conversation was talking about.

And I’ve been asked in the past after reposting other people’s setups that I was cutting the bullshit

:octopus::v:t2: