Drying techniques

Working on some industrial hemp drying for both biomass and flower.
What temperatures and drying times are recommended for plant drying? I plan on utilizing convection drying methods, but need a little guidance on the process set points.
For the biomass, I understand that it can be dried faster and should ultimately have about a 9% water content by weight.
For the flower, I understand that the drying should be slower, but am also unsure of the %water desired.

When you say convection, you mean a silo, or…?

9-11% works well for preserving flower quality

The current setup is a drying belt that moves through a heated area in a massive warehouse. I believe that the convection drying method would be to blow warm air through the area.

1 Like

Word. We’ve used those as well, we just had one delivered to Romania. They work well as long as you account for the fact that cannabis has sticky kief whereas hops do not.

In Southern Oregon we are building silos based on success other farms had drying biomass that way

1 Like

Any indications of terp loss during a heated drying process? That’s been a concern of mine.

I don’t have any yet, but I plan on coagulating all of that data. As I understand it, the drying process is highly dependent on the crop, how the crop was harvested and the conditions the crop was grown in.
I’d assume that a cold-drying method would better preserve the terpenes, but I know little about that process right now.