Drying isolate in a Filter Reactor

Has anyone tried to use a glass filter reactor/nutsche filter dryer to dry your CBD isolate of residual solvents?

this link states that drying can be done in a nutsche filter dryer.

My idea is to try and dry inside the filter reactor to save vessel changes into and out of a vacuum oven. To do this, pull a vacuum on your final wash for 30 min, agitating as necessary to avoid channeling. Then switch the vacuum up to a port on the lid, attach a nitrogen hose to the bottom outlet and let a small amount of nitrogen sparge through the isolate. Heat the jacket to 30C (to evaporate pentane) and agitate really slowly. Scrape the sides if caking on the sides is preventing a full turnover of isolate.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas that might make this more feasible?

2 Likes

It will work to get it mostly purged but i think you may need a final purge in the oven to pass Residual tests.
I personally get most the solvent purged from pulling a deep vacuum on the cake while its filtering so that part will do most the heavy work for you. You should be able to get the cake dry to the touch from this.

But for the final purge imagine a 10" cake purging, its not going to happen without mixing up that cake. If you think you can actually mix the whole cake sufficiently then i think it would work but i have a feeling your agitator will not break that cake up enough or at all unless its a higher torque motor or has a reduction gear box on it.

care to share a picture of the reactor you are using?

you should use the vacuum port at the end of your condenser unless you want to suck all the solvent vapors through your vacuum pump. and run that condenser cold enough to condense whatever solvent you choose to use. a cold trap after the condenser and before the pump would be a good idea too.

4 Likes

A proper bigass agitated nutsche filter dryer should do the trick. Pull out your wallet though.

2 Likes

I was planning on purchasing one of these reactors from Across International.

And yes, we would definitely use a condenser and cold trap prior to the vacuum pump.

I have no hands on experience with an AI filter reactor but i have experience with a couple different china reactors and neither of them will continue to even mix a wet isolate slurry without slipping on the shaft or just stopping the motor completely.

The stainless reactor i now use has a gear reduction box and a 1 hp motor.

OK, so what if I manually break up the cake after the last wash, then it should be loose enough to spin?

1 Like

I honestly dont think so, i’d love to say yes but just imagine trying to move roughly 25-30kgs (full batch size of this reactor) with a tiny little .25hp motor with a giant agitator blade at the bottom of that cake. its just not likely to happen.

Best bet is to find someone with hands on experience with the same unit.

I don’t know about using this specific style of filter dryer. But I do know that using a standard Glatt 100L filter dryer works just fine for me. Change the spray head to get the particle size you want - bouncing/heating/vacuum and voila - powdery cannabinoid granules FTW.

Similar technology I believe. Filter Bed Drying works.

4 Likes