Dry ice slurry

7 Likes

i have a question. i get the fumes of denatured could be bad… but shouldnt you have ventilation constantly exhausting that anyways??

3 Likes

Its cheaper…been using 100% ethanol cooled to -80c before we start adding dry ice really helps about the bubbling

Well for acetone and isopropyl both can be found at the dollar tree and you can usually buy in bulk no questions asked.

The acetone is labeled as pure nail polish remover and is sold by the 6oz container at the dollar tree that’s about 24 containers to make a gallon. Market Basket has Isopropyl for a pretty reasonable price labeled as rubbing alcohol…

A standard size container of isopropyl from the dollar tree is I think 12oz but I’m not too sure about that and that would mean 12 containers to make a gallon…

Then however much dry ice is at your nearest supplier.

1 Like

Why not just cool your heat transfer fluid first in a big stainless container with a spout and pour it into the sleeve after you’ve gotten it down to temp.

We have one these at my clients shop

Fits a ton of biomass socks(maybe 8)plus a ton ethanol 5gal buckets literally probably 8 5gal buckets

This kept us from doing what I call cranking up a rig…it’s like u start cranked up… Cranking up equals pouring tons dry ice into ethanol room temp to get it at stable -70c for a while…when we load the solvent tank cooler we fill w dry ice …it only boils a lil when recovery starts

He paid over $10k for it

1 Like

What do those units run?

2 Likes

U talking to @GroovyOctopusLabs ?

2 Likes

Meant to ask you

2 Likes

$13k maybe used?

1 Like

I tried pg and dry ice one time. The pg froze so fast and then I couldn’t get my coil out of the mix. It was probably one of the dumbest things I’ve tried. So I wouldn’t recommend it

6 Likes

You can get those freezers from university surplus auctions for like 1000

1 Like

Maybe I understood wrong but this one will hold 6 grown ass men inside it…maybe that was new price

Ive got one here for sale that I use that I added 2x10’ on the top of and could hold like a dozen body’s in it. Trouble is shipping is so pricey and the refrigeration system would likely get damaged in transit. I really can only sell it locally. She’s huge.

Chloroform slurry FTW

Edit: this is sarcasm, please don’t try this.

7 Likes

Bleach and isopropyl makes this. 10/10 would not recommend. Learned that when trying to figure out how to proper clean all my oil rags. Quick google search

1 Like

If you must pump ethanol with a fountain pump. Replace the plastic hose barb with metal.

This one broke. And hot ethanol went everywhere.

4 Likes

dry ice/acetone ftw

I prechill the fluid so the dry ice doesnt do all the work . before future i used glycol and no dry ice, still have buckets of glycol. i mixed water into my glycol so it froze with the coil in it at around -5 F. I was thinking the phase change has lots of energy but less so with glycol, it just warmed quick. Regular ice absorrbs lots of energy in the phase change

Isopropyl Alchohol / Acetone and Dry Ice are the golden standard for slurry combinations. It’s a time-tested mainstay in organic synth labs.

3 Likes