Dry Ice Color Change

Just changed dry suppliers and the new stuff turns the ethanol it sits in purple.

Ethanol is reused daily on dry ice from another supplier, and did not change colors until we put the dry ice from the new supplier in.

I’m not concerned, as it will have 0 effect, just trying to figure out the why.

4 Likes

Tried with fresh EtOH, so it’s not something that has made it’s way into the reclaim.

That’s interesting. Something with a high ph?

1 Like

I found this.

“When dry ice is added to water, some of it forms carbonic acid, and lowers the pH. This is why the solution changes from purple to blue to green to yellow. The “fog” that we see is condensed water vapor though, not carbon dioxide gas”

Could be a lot of water in your ethanol I’m not sure if I’ve seen my ethanol change colour from dry ice.

Actually I think it turned my acetone yellow/green but that could also be from chunks of material falling in from packing.

1 Like

EtOH was straight out of the barrel 200 proof. At worst it would have gone down to 95% from moisture in the air, but we keep the barrel sealed and it’s pretty dry where it’s stored.

1 Like

I hope you have resolved this. This was happening to me to a lesser extent. It turns out that pieces of the blue cloth sleeve I was using to collect my dry ice off our CO2 tank was shedding into my cold trap!!

If it interests you, liquid ozone is actually blue and explosive! From wikipedia:

In standard conditions, ozone is a pale blue gas that condenses at progressively cryogenic temperatures to a dark blue liquid and finally a violet-black solid. Ozone’s instability with regard to more common dioxygen is such that both concentrated gas and liquid ozone may decompose explosively at elevated temperatures or fast warming to the boiling point. It is therefore used commercially only in low concentrations.