Dry ice bunker

Anybody have experience with these bunkers? Looking at getting a small one for a 100 to a couple hundred lbs of dry ice.
Also, has anybody used a chest freezer to store dry ice? Plugged or unplugged

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=41824

4 Likes

These ice chests are amazing. We use them and love them

3 Likes

I took a chest freezer and insulated with extra foam core board and used that for dry ice (unplugged) it did a very solid job

2 Likes

They work pretty well, I believe they’re made of HDPE. Just make sure you dont stick your head in too far and take a deep breath when scooping from it.

8 Likes

Those work pretty good. I used to have one of those delivered every week. But now I use my -86c freezer and it can last a couple weeks easily. Put the regular cooler I fetch it with in there and dip out of that. I think the current one has been in there two weeks and it’s still half full. My freezer has paid for its self in dry ice savings.

1 Like

How much was the freezer

How long would the ice last?

Way more expensive than the tote lol. Somewhere around 5500-6000 I think. I was getting a 500lb tote of dry ice for $250 once every 10-14 days. I used to winterize in coolers with dry ice in mason jars. Now I get an 80 lb cooler for $40 once every 2-3weeks for cold traps. Winterize in car boys in the freezer now.

1 Like

Praxair will deliver in bins like this. I think I pay $0.60 per pound…

1 Like

They deliver big bins. Im looking to store 100lbs maybe 200

it was stored out doors in Michigan. i would buy 500 lbs at a time during the winter it would last 10 days in there with minimal loss that only happened a couple times because I would run through the ice, in the summer i just made sure to run through the ice it did fine for the 3-4 days it too for me to run through it though
Edit.: I always thought about putting spray faom between the wall of the chest freezer and foam core but never ended up doing so. I did put spray foam on the lid

1 Like

I would get a cooler with wheels just makes life easier, this one fits 550 LBs of dry ice and keeps it for 4-5 days

I paid $600 for this from a dry ice distributor

4 Likes

You got that for 600? Where who.
Every one i talk to rents them or swaps them.
Hfs sells them for 1000

I got a deal on it from a supplier who got it on a tote swap and it didn’t match the totes he has so he hooked it up :call_me_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Yep used a lot of these, mostly delivered by dry ice supplier
The real large 500lbs bins without wheels are a big pain in the ass to move.
The kind Headies only posted with wheels are much nicer.

You can get similar smaller totes design to hold ~200lbs, narrower and taller, and if you don’t need to store more than that. You’ll lose less dry ice without a big empty cavity. I like using those as my operating chest in the extraction room and fill that as needed. The same company Polar that you linked makes some of these smaller upright containers too

In my experience that will hold 200-220lbs of pellets

*Edit; the Polar in your second link, TC02 is only 2 cubic feet. it might hold hold ~75-90 lbs of pellets. Their next size up the TC05 should fit 200-220lbs.

2 Likes

You have experience with that cooler?
Im now considering going bigger.
What do you think of this one?

1 Like

I’ve used the PB05 and PB11HLC (Hinged Lid, with Casters)

I wouldn’t suggest getting anything bigger than PB11 sized without a hinged lid, that’ll be a pain to take off and set down every time

I don’t know about that model. This is the company that makes the Polar dry ice containers. Polar Insulated Containers | Bonar Plastics

I couldn’t find anything about a PB1801 under their dry ice containers. It seems like that might be a fish box. I’d imagine there’s some crossover in the applications.

1 Like

Much appreciated! I didnt realizeit was a fish box oops.
How much drice can you fit in yiur pb11hlc.

Also would it fit through a standard office door? The rollup doors are currently being blocked and are inaccessible for a few weeks

1 Like

500lbs of pellets was pretty standard Although they can fit 550.

The 500lb totes can be wheeled through a standard door

2 Likes