Dry Herb Vapes

I’m curious to hear the opinions of users here on dry herb vapes. Especially those of you who smoke flower/hashish.

I’ve spent lots of time in dry herb vape specific forums, but the opinions there skew a certain direction because the users are all enthusiasts.

I’m curious to hear the opinions of people who don’t like them, and prefer smoking their flower. What is it that you don’t like? What models have you used that you did or didn’t like?

I know a lot of people who used to use dry herb vapes have moved on to concentrates and carts. For some it’s a flavor preference, or a the speed of the hit they prefer.

Me personally, I prefer vaping dry sift or bubble hash in a dry herb vape over dabbing oil, mostly because I find the flavor/experience to be a closer representation of the original flower. That said, no dry herb vape is as fast or convenient as hitting a cart, and probably never will be.

1 Like

I’ve been through a bunch. Nothing really ever beat a volcano and a bag. The davinci portable was pretty decent.

7 Likes

truth right there. I’ve tried fireflys, different kinds of cheap ceramics, different kinds of more expensive UFOs (you know who you are, WHY I ask you WHY!).

I have stuck with the volcano and its bag (i tried the whip and didn’t like it) now for about 5 years. I have a mighty as well, for when I’m not at home. Its not quite as nice… IMO but still.

No more combustion - which is great, as now I can give the chaff to my dog/chickens. Or use it to make edibles (it usually has like 30-40% remaining when I’m done, I’m a low temp user after all).

–Cass

4 Likes

Have you guys ever tried any of the enail based dry herb vapes, like the stuff made by cannabis hardware? They hit really hard, and are easier to use with waterpipes.

I’m a lighter user myself, so I’m a big fan of 1 hitter vapes like logs and the Dynavap.

1 Like

I love my LSV with the all glass wand for max flavor, or a whip for a laid back sesh. Nothing tastes better than straight kief, but a flower-concentrate sammich is always quite tasty, and highly effective. Pretty easy to master the learning curve with the vapes that are based on the Silver Surfer Vaporizer, like the Life Saber Vape is. You can take little low-temp, tasty hits, or take some big ol fuckin rippers that’ll kick you right in the ass.

The Dynavap is awesome paired with a pocket torch for out n about - no batteries needed. :slight_smile: There’s a lot harder learning curve, and a lot of friends n such usually just give up after a couple try/fails. Pretty small capacity and restrictive draw, but you can take a couple pretty decent, potent hits on each load. It’s pretty easy to over heat and combust on accident, and once you do it pretty much ruins the flavor until you clean it, but clean up is easy. Other than the screens, caps, and o-rings, these are pretty much bullet proof.

I hardly ever use them any more for a few reasons. Let’s ignore that I mostly use concentrates these days, because that’s obviously a huge factor. The main reason is that it’s just way easier to grab a bowl for a quick smoke, or roll a fatty to share with a few buds. Having to keep a duff jar for the ABV is a bit of a hassle, and it kinda spoils the mood when combustion occurs. Let’s admit it, I’m a lazy smoker, and trend towards convenience to get the job done so I can get back to whatever else I was doing, like another dab. :wink:

1 Like

When paired with an induction coil, they are bulletproof. You run till about a second after you hear the click, and then draw.

4 Likes

Speaking of induction, puffing on the Reflux as I type. Been thinking of trying my Wand from ispire to heat the Dynavap. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work, as long as it’s centered in the Wand.

3 Likes

the wand and a glass plate would be an amazing combination

1 Like

I love our Arizer. It’s been a daily driver for 8 years. We’re on our second unit. Highly recommend.

3 Likes

I had a magic flight launch box like 4 years ago, it was alright. I’ve tried the volcano too, also alright. Flavor is the main thing I care about so I gave up on dry herb vapes in favor of dabs. I try to stay away from combustion cause I’m a hypochondriac scared of lung cancer but I still smoke flower every so often. I’ve heard super good things about the dynavap with the ispire induction thing which makes me want to try it.

3 Likes

I remember the magic flight!

2 Likes

My first dry herb vape was a Pax 3. I think that’s for lighter users because it felt like microdosing to me.

My next vape, smoke shop employee tells me to go for stuff by Storz and Bickel. Fast forward to the current day, I have both a Crafty and a Volcano. Their products are king, backed by some of the best customer support I’ve seen.

I really do feel like the method of consumption impacts the high. Smoking a joint comes on harder than vaping for sure, but it is harsher. Vape cartridges are also different, less of a body high and moreso a cerebral head high. I find that it is more functional. This is just conjecture, though.

1 Like

PAX is a very common introduction for a lot of people, but unfortunately it’s not the best representation of these devices’ potential. The flavor and vapor production leaves a lot to be desired.

Storz and Bickel is much better, though I don’t love the plastic airpath.

For heavy users, a good introduction would be something like the S&B mighty, Sticky Bricks, or one of the many desktops. Dynavaps can satisfy heavy users as well as long as their willing to repack a few times, but the vapor production is extremely dense, and heating is quick.

The other option for heavy users is to vape traditional hash or kief instead of bud, then you can use vapes with smaller bowls, but still get extremely potent results.

2 Likes

rocks. especially when hiking or walking out and about away from everything. portable, works great, and long lasting battery.

3 Likes

I’d personally go for a Tiny Might over the Mighty because you get the ability to swap batteries and a glass airpath. The mighty has a bigger battery, but is also much larger in size.

Would recommend the kindpen truva mini 2. I have a firefly 2+ and a PAX Plus and I keep going back to the truva.

I’m with you on the plastic airpath. For some reason I also don’t feel comfortable with the silicon tube on the Volcano.

Does anyone know if any of these companies have done emissions testing (Testing the actual vapor that comes out) on their vapes?

Do you have any experience with the Arizer Air Max? I have the old extreme q and I love it but I am in the market for a hand held vape.

I just have the table top. If you try it, let me know.

1 Like

The arizer air/air max is great, very easy to clean, very consistent, good flavor. But it is a sipper, a slow hitter. If you like massive thick rips it might leave a little to be desired, but if you like drawn out sessions it’s great. I personally prefer the Solo line, but the air is very similar, just has 1 battery vs 2.

I would recommend the tiny might over any arizer if you like bigger hits.

@Potatov3 not many companies do testing, but there are many out there (including some reputable vendors) who do tear downs to identify the materials, airpath, etc. Knowing the materials gives you a very good idea about emissions.

The cannabis hardware vapes, for instance, are made exclusively of 316 steel, gr2 titanium, and rubies. When clean we know these materials do not offgas at the temperatures these devices operate at.