Drloud - Exotic Investment Land Ownership Questions n Answers - Calling all land investors

Backstory - I’ve been obsessed with investments since I knew how to buy stocks at 20, I save 20-30 percent of my income - took 3 years to work up to it. I am now ready to start buying physical investments to lock up my money instead of having it it in the bank.

Questions -

My goal is to own at least.5 to 1arce of land by End of Year

1. I saw there are cheap lands in my area, someone even said all you need is (1-2k to buy some land) about 1-2hrs out of the city, When buying land apart from building housing on it, what are other ways to cash flow from it. I initially was planning on going with a buy-and-hold strategy - pay my taxes on the land and the mortgage, we are all in some type of debt, either good or bad.

2. What are the pitfalls I should look for when purchasing land?

3. Do I need to build on it to cash flow? Why or why not?

4. How do I prospect land and find reputable brokers/dealers?

5. I want to take a passive approach to land ownership since I am actively building my business while working full-time. Either I spend the money on investments or spend it on bullshit, I chose investments

6. is land ownership worth it, if you’re not planning to be an active investor in it?

7. what makes a land great value, price, locations, or other factors?

Thank you all in advance, I see myself growing into the person I want to be, by actively engaging with future4200

Buy land in Alaska thats not going to flood.

1 Like

Elaborate please

Am I in imminent damaged and I don’t even know it?…

1 Like

I wont be able to protect and manage my investment

You shouldnt buy land

1 Like

Your IG reel series is legendary sir

I hope you find the information you’re looking for some of the questions u type out could be pasted on land/real estate forums too and get some feedback

3 Likes

thanks man just trynna live

1 Like

What are your goals for the property?
What’s your budget?

1 Like

Land is a great investment and can be very rewarding.

Imvestment strategy depends on where you are at financially and what your goals are.

Check out bigger pockets most of your questions are answered on there.

1 Like

Whats bigger pockets?

passively cash flow from the land, or buy hold and sell later

ChatGPT Resonse to my questions

1. There are several ways to generate cash flow from owning land besides building housing on it. Here are some ideas:
  1. Agriculture or farming: Depending on the location and type of land, you could rent it out to farmers or start a small-scale farm yourself.
  2. Timber: If the land has trees, you could harvest and sell the timber.
  3. Mineral or water rights: Depending on the location, you may be able to sell the mineral or water rights to the land.
  4. Hunting or fishing: If the land is in a desirable location for hunting or fishing, you could lease it out to hunters or fishermen.
  5. Recreation: Depending on the location and zoning laws, you may be able to rent the land out for camping, hiking, or other outdoor activities.

It’s important to do your due diligence and research the potential uses for the land in your area before making a purchase. Additionally, make sure you have a solid financial plan in place for owning and maintaining the land, including paying property taxes and any mortgage payments.

1. What are the pitfalls I should look for when purchasing land?
    When purchasing land, here are some pitfalls to look out for:
  1. Zoning and land-use regulations: Make sure you understand the zoning laws and land-use regulations in the area before you buy. This will help you determine what you can and cannot do with the land.
  2. Environmental issues: Look for any environmental issues that may affect the land, such as soil contamination or flood-prone areas.
  3. Access: Make sure there is a legal and safe way to access the land. This could include easements, rights-of-way, or public roads.
  4. Utilities: Check for access to utilities such as water, electricity, and sewage. If the land doesn’t have access to these utilities, it could be costly to bring them in.
  5. Natural hazards: Look for any potential natural hazards, such as landslides or wildfires, that may affect the land.
  6. Title issues: Check the title of the land for any liens or encumbrances that could affect your ownership.
  7. Market trends: Consider the current and future market trends for the area. Is the area growing? Is there a demand for land in the area?

It’s important to thoroughly research the land and the surrounding area before making a purchase. Consider hiring a real estate attorney or professional to help you with the due diligence process.

1. Do I need to build on it to cash flow? Why or why not?
    No, you do not need to build on your land to generate cash flow. While building on the land may provide additional opportunities for generating cash flow, there are other options as well. As mentioned earlier, you could rent out the land for agriculture, timber harvesting, hunting or fishing, or recreation. You could also lease mineral or water rights, or sell the land to someone else for a profit.

Additionally, even if you do decide to build on the land, it’s important to carefully consider the cost and potential return on investment. Building can be expensive and time-consuming, and there is no guarantee that you will be able to recoup your investment through rental income or resale value.

Ultimately, the best strategy for generating cash flow from your land will depend on a variety of factors, including the location, zoning laws, market trends, and your financial goals. Consider consulting with a real estate professional or financial advisor to help you make an informed decision.

1. How do I prospect land and find reputable brokers/dealers?
    Here are some steps you can take to prospect land and find reputable brokers/dealers:

2. Define your search criteria: Before you start searching for land, it’s important to define your search criteria, including location, size, zoning, and intended use.

3. Research online: There are many online resources for finding land for sale, including real estate listing websites, land marketplaces, and auction sites. You can also search for local real estate agencies that specialize in land sales.

4. Attend local real estate events: Check for local real estate events, such as seminars or conferences, where you can meet brokers and dealers in person.

5. Ask for referrals: Ask friends, family, or colleagues if they know of any reputable brokers or dealers who specialize in land sales.

6. Check for licenses and certifications: Make sure any broker or dealer you work with is licensed and has the necessary certifications to conduct real estate transactions in your area.

7. Check for references and reviews: Look for online reviews or ask for references from any broker or dealer you’re considering working with.

8. Interview potential brokers/dealers: Before you choose a broker or dealer, make sure to interview them and ask questions about their experience, expertise, and success rate in selling land.

Remember to do your due diligence and thoroughly research any land you’re considering purchasing, as well as any brokers or dealers you’re considering working with. This will help ensure a smooth and successful transaction.

1. I want to take a passive approach to land ownership since I am actively building my business while working full-time. Either I spend the money on investments or spend it on bullshit, I chose investments

Taking a passive approach to land ownership can be a smart decision, especially if you’re focused on building your business and don’t have the time or resources to actively manage the land. Here are some passive investment strategies for land ownership:

1. Buy and hold: This is the most common passive investment strategy for land. Simply purchase the land and hold onto it for the long term, while paying taxes and any mortgage payments.

2. Land funds: Consider investing in a land fund, which pools together investors’ money to purchase and manage large tracts of land. This is a passive way to invest in land, as the fund managers handle the day-to-day operations and management of the land.

3. REITs: Real estate investment trusts (REITs) are companies that own and manage income-producing properties, including land. Investing in a REIT that includes land in its portfolio can be a passive way to invest in land ownership.

4. Crowdfunding: Consider investing in a real estate crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in a specific parcel of land alongside other investors. This can be a passive way to invest in land, as the platform handles the day-to-day operations and management of the land.

5. is land ownership worth it, if you’re not planning to be an active investor in it?

6. Appreciation: Land has the potential to appreciate in value over time, even if you’re not actively developing it or generating income from it. This can lead to a profitable return on investment if you decide to sell the land in the future.

7. Portfolio diversification: Owning land can diversify your investment portfolio, providing a hedge against inflation and economic uncertainty.

8. Tangible asset: Land is a tangible asset, meaning that you have a physical asset that you can see and touch. This can provide a sense of security and stability in your investment portfolio.

9. Tax benefits: Depending on your location and the intended use of the land, there may be tax benefits to owning land. For example, you may be able to deduct property taxes or depreciation expenses.

10. Legacy building: Owning land can be a way to build a legacy for future generations. You can pass down the land to your heirs, who can continue to hold and potentially develop the land.

11. what makes a land great value, price, location, or other factors?

Several factors can make land great value. Here are some of the most important factors:

1. Location: The location of the land is often the most important factor in determining its value. Land located in desirable areas, such as near a beach or in a growing city, will typically be more valuable than land in less desirable areas.
  2. Zoning: The zoning of the land can also have a significant impact on its value. Land zoned for commercial or residential use will generally be more valuable than land zoned for agricultural use.
  3. Access: The ease of access to the land can also affect its value. Land located near major highways or with easy access to public transportation will generally be more valuable than land that is difficult to access.
  4. Natural resources: The presence of natural resources such as water, minerals, or timber can increase the value of the land.
  5. Environmental factors: Environmental factors such as the quality of the soil, water availability, and climate can also affect the value of the land.
  6. Development potential: The potential for development, including the availability of utilities and infrastructure, can also affect the value of the land.
  7. Price: Of course, price is also an important factor in determining the value of land. A lower price may make a piece of land a great value if it has desirable features and potential for appreciation.

Overall, the value of land is determined by a combination of these factors, and it’s important to carefully consider each one before making a purchase.

ChatGPT gave me tons of really good info.

Nobody is going to lease less than 5-10 acres to hunt unless you’re in a really prime area with really lax hunting/gun safety laws.

I own 2 acres in a really prime hunting area(deer and turkey). I can hunt with a bow or crossbow there, but nobody is going to lease it to hunt.

10-20 acres in a prime location here can lease for 1-2k/year for hunting, $200 an acre for farming. If it’s wooded, there’s timber harvest potential also.

2 Likes

I would buy a piece of land or property that is going to be relative to your business or life . Buying land is generally not going to be the best bang for your buck. There are better financial investments you could make . Raw land is expensive to devolop and generally the least worth. Maybe look into county auctions when people stop paying their taxes and give up their property.

I own property in an area with a ton of cheap land and have watched many people try to devolop and get scammed into buying useless land for little to no money down no backround check. General cost to start the process of developing by me is 20-40k just to get a power pole, septic, and basic electric hook up . I had a friend buy a few acres with power and septic already installed for around 10k maybe even less (at auction).

He poured a concrete foundation and put a mobile home on it . Turned out pretty good . Even better a few years later he snagged the property next to his at auction for cheap as well . All in all this was a good investment and could be profitable. Even could of been a quick flip . He has lived there for probably 3 years now its a sweet place for the price he got it for . I estimate around 40-60k after a ton of work and renovations

2 Likes

This is where I got that 2 acres🤣

2 Likes

Thanks for you advice, you do make your money when you buy.

How can I find county options?

The first thing you need to do is understand how tax sales work in the state you wish to purchase in. Some states sell you a tax certificate, and the owner has a couple more years to pay you with interest before you could begin foreclosure proceedings. Other states, like Michigan, foreclose on tax defaulted properties and sell them outright after the taxes are behind 3 years. Sometimes you still have to evict a tenet, but if it’s vacant land or unoccupied, you take possession 30 days after the tax sale.

1 Like

I bought the lot next to me once at a county tax lien auction, just to keep away any new neighbors. The county issued a quit claim deed, which means they give up claim to the land, but that isn’t the same as having title insurance, which protects you against all claims.

If you want to buy at an auction, start going to them just to observe. And if you plan to buy, get there early to get a good seat. I ended up in the back and barely knew what was going on.

2 Likes

Auctions are tricky and require due diligence and research . The county will push to sell you anything because that is their job . You have to be aware of circumstances. For example if you buy a property at auction with a very run down house . Even if people were actively living in it prior . There is a strong chance the county could condemn the home after the purchase and not allow you to remodel the house depending on how bad the condition is . They want you to put in a new home and pay permit and building fees . Best to do your research and inquire with the county about specific properties your interested in

2 Likes

Thank you, if you think of any more tips please let me know