DrLoud Exotic Grow Journal

How Do I Get a 100% germination rate? The paper towel method isn’t 100% for me.

Drop them in a cup of water and put them in the dark. Not all seeds are 100%

6 Likes

How long can seeds sit before it affects their likelihood of sprouting?

About 3 years is what I read, and the germination rate starts to decline. Storage conditions affect that a lot.

6 Likes

I honestly didnt even know about soaking seeds until fairly recently. I have dropped 30,000 hemp seeds in a season without soaking and had nearly 100% germination. What I didn’t understand is that it worked only because the seeds were very fresh. As the cannabis seed ages, it starts to dry out. By soaking it for about a day…I have also heard until it sinks…you are rehydrating the seed.

The speed of germination relates directly to temperature, everything happens faster when warm. The downside is that if it’s too hot, then your media can dry out, or if its a wet paper towel in a ziplock, get gross with nasty bacteria.

2 Likes

Germing with paper towel since early 2000s and I still use paper towel method. I have encountered crosses that wont germ well without a heat pad in recent years; interestingly, all progeny from the subsequent crosses I made also required heat pad. So genetics appear to play a role there. As a result, I now use heat pads every time I germinate.

Regarding bugs, I do like captain jacks as well.

As far as bagseed goes… seeds are already a form of genetic roulette, bagseed all the moreso as most folks will never know the pollen donor. But chance aside, I think its key to mention that a solid handful of some of the greatest clones to hit the scene were bagseed.

Dope as fuck that you got hooked up with quality seeds. Dont forget the love you were shown and pass it on as you are able :+1::saluting_face:

7 Likes

Definitely passing the love over, Okay, I don’t feel as bad for my blue dreams bag seeds. I just. hope they turn out females at least.

1 Like

I found this technique on the bodhi seeds website years ago…cant find a link now. This is how they reccomend germinating their seeds.

1. Soak rockwool cubes in ph 6.0 water.
  2. Place cubes in a tray.
  3. Insert seeds pointy side down. ( use tweezers)
  4. Tear off small pieces of rockwool and cover the hole.
  5. Add a dome or place in clone tent or both depending on your setup.
  6. Wait.

I’ve gotten 100% using this method many times.
You may need to help a seedling shed its shell or possibly dig one out of the cube but its very rare if you insert them properly.

You still need temp and humidity dialed. Im usually in the high 70s or low 80s for temp and in the high 60s low 70s for humidity until i transplant.

5 Likes

When you’re pointing the seeds down, is it fat side down or the skinny side down?

The suggestion was:

3 Likes

Thanks Reading is fundamental

5 Likes

Special thanks to @Concentrated_humbold for supplying me with seeds for life and passing the legacy. I will carry where you left off and continue building and expanding the collection.

10 Likes

Those are some killer genetics. Solid plug for sure.

2 Likes

Popping these bad boys in, growing in fox farm coco loco.

Any tips for growing in coco I have experienced with soil. I’m wondering if there are issues I should be mindful of moving forward.

Ps. What heating pads are y’all using for germination?

1 Like

Cheaper options are available, but you might consider something like this:

These can double as means to heat a vacuum chamber for purging if you get into extracting. Extraction and processing science is what this forum is mostly geared toward so you can find a lot of great info here to get you started.

A pad like this is useful for sandwiching several labeled paper towels for germination, set a plate on top upside down as a lid with mat underneath.

I like where this is headed.

1 Like

i would suggest… when using tap water, put 5 gallons in a bucket with a few air stones in the bottom to off gas that chlorine and keep your water nice and oxygenated.

heating pads: these cheap bad boys right here do magic bro

Germination Mat

4 Likes

Anyone got a lab I can get my plants sexed? I really want to know if these bag seeds are females or males. Whats the budget for something like this

Check here (search bar is your friend):

Otherwise I think @Tom had a spot he recommended, but I could be misremembering.

3 Likes

Yup he’s good he’s been doing it a long time too

3 Likes