Draw backs of isobutane?

What are the drawbacks of using isobutane over n butane for shatter

I’ve searched a bunch and I see the odd mention of having stability issues but is there any other draw backs for shatter?

Does it pull more or less terps?

Do I need to run a higher ratio to get similar return? I currently run 1:7.5 material/solvent

I’m thinking of switching from 100% n butane to 100% iso.

1 Like

Iso goes hella quick. I understand why you would jump to it as i think most of us had the conclusion and it could be efficient maybe but in the legal setting where we were pumping large volumes you will end up having to refil way more iso tanks than you would N

2 Likes

I’m thinking of switching to is as I’m hoping less would get frozen in the material column. I dump the ice out and run hot water through the columns after and recovery out of the top when I’m done the column.

Does it gel up around -50 like n butane?

Also you’re saying I would lose more per run than regular n butane?

Isogang4L

3 Likes

When running isobutane colder than -60c it gets thick and acts more like propane…

Less yield, more terps

6 Likes

I found a soak helped a lot. First run with no soak was at 15% . Then tried soaking got 18-20% for the rest of the runs except for 1 that hit 22%. (last seasons outdoor). I did between 20-30 minute soaks.

And idk actual temp, but everything (tank, injection coil and column) was prechilled with di

Now you got me wondering how my yeilds would have been with N… Lol

2 Likes

Yea I’m not sure how cold I’m getting. I let tank sit on di for about an hour first run and then second runs I inject into coil.

Right now with this method I am making some of the hardest shatter I’ve made before

I’m running trim and I’m only getting about 10% I can’t afford to lose any. I do about a 20 minute soak with n tane.

2 Likes

Those runs above were all full plant runs. Just for reference to yield

Had trim range anywhere from 5-15%

1 Like

My best run to date yielded 28% on a mac1 pheno, all trim. Ran with nbutane

3 Likes

I haven’t ever had good trim. Lol

All the trim I ran was shitty outdoor…

1 Like

Yeah indoor is hard to beat. Best I ever did on outdoor was 18% and it was 6 months old and not stored in a freezer… best cherry terps I’ve ever smelled

4 Likes

Isobutane purges super fast in relation to nbutane, which is nice when your ambient humidity is high.
Isobutane with soak times and ~11:1 solvent-biomass ratio has given us great results on fire indoor 18-23% thca dry material.
I don’t like to soak when running fresh frozen so isobutane heavy blends make FF logistics challenging.

We really get the best results running fire material, cured or FF with cold nbutane.

2 Likes

Some prefer using blends. 70%N-but / 30%Pro is the most popular, but some use blends of all 3 - Nbut, Ibut & Pro

Don’t know enough about extraction to cite benefits of one blend over another but others on this forum likely do.

1 Like

I’ve been running a blend of 60% n tane, 20% iso and 20% pane for about three years now. No plan on switching any time soon

2 Likes

I’ve ran a 70/30 blend for a couple years then switched to straight butane which I prefer.

I’m guessing in conclusion n butane requires less solvent to material ratio for the same return. So any added recovery speed from isobutane could potentially be lost by the need to run more solvent or less material per run.

:man_bowing:ALL HAIL N BUTANE​:man_bowing:

2 Likes