Dr. Bruce Damer and some of his wild ideas

I’ve known Bruce for over a decade but mostly as he relates to the psychedelic folks found at The Farm. He’s perhaps the most interesting person I will ever meet, and I don’t say that lightly.

He’s also super inspiring, especially for those folks that question whether they can make a difference or contribute something of value to humanity and trying to turn their visions into reality. So I thought I would share.

He’s a rare type of human. Makes his own clothes (doesn’t wear them when he has meetings at NASA), designer of his own revolutionary spaceship system SHEPARD
( SHEPHERD by Dr. Peter Jenniskens technical intro (SETI talks excerpt) Asteroid Day June 30, 2015 - YouTube)
as a younger man he was a good friend of TMK, an early describer of VR, maintains a computer museum in a “digibarn” on his property,
( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB69gAspqxjLySkgBprePNwJg8YAxAkEw ),
has designed or been a part of many current space missions currently hurtling through the void, including doing the modeling of at least 25 NASA missions alone, holder of a portion of the Leary Archives (via Denis Berry of Tim’s Futique Trust), and basically does things in his spare time that whole University departments are dedicated to and actually manages to be a key player none the less.

The last few years he has been using his time pondering (and doing a lot of fieldwork)concerning the mysteries surrounding the (or an) origin of Life (on Earth) and elucidating possible conditions and mechanisms associated with the necessary building blocks needed by the earliest proto-biota.

That would be things such as lipids that could wrap around and form a sort of proto-cell membrane (some of you are doing something like this with your water solubles), and then trying to discover and describe the “engines” or mechanical process (known to be present at that time) that would make it possible to generate said chemical species. And then trying to do that under controlled laboratory conditions.

He doesn’t use computer modeling for this, instead choosing to design an instrument with an array of tiny vessels that are injected with actual physical compounds, subjected to whatever force or “engine”, analyzed and then ejected, repeat. Something like that anyway! lol

He built a machine capable of doing this in his garage and when a friend and fellow scientist at the local University heard about it, invited Dr. Bruce down and built (or was building) a giant university version.
He and his group had their ideas explored in a cover story in Scientific American back in 2017

Dr. Bruce also happens to be one of the nicest, most gentle ,loving, and sane people you could ever meet.

Anyway, as many of us here have the luxury of a nice amount of time to ponder things while working, i thought at least a few folks on here might appreciate the thought-fodder.

Here is his paper describing their working model.
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2019.2045

A youtube playlist Introduction to the man and some of his ideas, including a bunch of the modeling animations of both NASA’s spacecraft system/missions and his own called SHEPARD:

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Going to be checking the links for sure; I’m super interested already!

3 Likes

Interesting stuff.

Everyone should learn about ATP Synthase. It’s a literal protein “engine” or rather an electrical gradient powered motor, that spins on an axle and smashes ADP into a molecule of phosphate to make ATP as a stored source of cellular energy. Cells are both miraculous and scientific.

4 Likes

Seems neat and based on sound science, I’ll have to look deeper. Thanks!

1 Like

You mean your friends with this dude?

Or you know him for his work for the last decade?

If were sharing top notch brain food I would highly recomend:

Robert Sapolsky - human behaviorist professor at stanford.

Just to inspire non categorical thinking is probably one of the benchmarks of a good menthor proffesor or parent :stuck_out_tongue:love the share MJ thnak you

3 Likes

I got to know him through the Farm parties while raising money for Sasha, and seeing him at psychedelic conferences.
Though I haven’t seen him in a couple years I still talk/text with him occasionally.

4 Likes

Did you write the post about the good dr.Last years? Now that was enspiring…

No wonder you do good work:)

Edit: your blessed for having such individuals in your life…

No wonder you do good work:)
Professionalism is the only thing that makes humanity worth preserving.”
~Jerry Seinfeld, Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

“Edit: your blessed for having such individuals in your life…”
An unquantifiable ratio of pure luck, good timing, and seeking them out.
I encourage you to seek these types of people out & then just pepper the shit out of your own life with them. Become one yourself!

There are few things in life as exhilarating & mind expanding as amazing conversations that blow your head in some way. Extra points if its layered over with the excitement of realizing the other person is an until-now, un-encountered human-type, a truly outstanding unique creature moving through the world in a way you hadn’t realized people might move or think, or spend their time, etc.
There’s a lot of these people out there, but they are rarely just “hanging out” so you’ll have to make some effort seeking them out.
These types of people/conversations can definitely change you & your life in deep permanent-type ways.

But you say you feel too “beneath” folks like “that”?
Simple fix for those types of feelings.
Whatever it is you are doing now, just start to read more, write more, paint and draw more, care more (and do something about it), or maybe do something amazing or unique, or see the J. Seinfeld quote above and do whatever it is you do at the highest level of craftsmanship (everyone respects craftsmanship and professionalism).
Start by getting involved in some way with those subjects that really get you excited and stay open to the unexpected possibilities of where that might eventually lead you.

But honestly, just being a genuinely nice and helpful human makes you someone folks want to interact with already.

3 Likes

This video is an awesome in-depth look into the subject. While any 3-D animation of protein interaction is cool in my book, this one really puts life into perspective. Protons are literally getting loaded into the complex like bullets into a revolver… insane!

I have similar memories of the classic “kenesin protein walking on microtubules” animation when I first saw that… Such a better understanding when you can actually see the spatial arrangement of everything.

6 Likes

Great video!
When I was in art school studying animation, scientific illustration using CG is what I most wanted to do with those skills once I had them.

3 Likes

Interesting fellow. Thanks for the share.