Double Boil Absorption Rates

Awesome response ky_cbd, @Sdog21 “panda” is a cheap amazon “centrifuge” that people use for reclamation.

2 Likes

Spinng bags with etOH or MCT in them? Interesting data

1 Like

2600G sounds awesome, but something isn’t right…

how long are you spinning for?

do you really have only 70lb of cannabis in an 8ft diameter rotor?

I can fit 30lb in a rotor only 24" across.

in a 16" rotor at ~1000G I was seeing 1-1.5lb of ethanol in 10lb of biomass. which is not inconsistent with your numbers (density of ethanol 6.8lb/gal). when we hit 1.5lb, it was time to clean the filters.

1 Like

Ethanol

1 Like

derp, let me update that. should be 2 ft radius not 4

Edit: Spin time is 15 mins. Attempts at going longer yielded minimal <100ml of additional tincture.

1 Like

Yep. 1300G same as a panda.

Which is why our numbers are consistent with each other.

And why I tend to turn things up to at least 11 at every opportunity :shushing_face:

I did run a tiny fuge that might have been spinning harder, but never bothered calculating my solvent losses in that one.

2 Likes

at $20 gal, our financial loss $1000-2000 a day in ethanol. That number sucks, but it does open up funding for improvement.

Comes with a VFD?
10HP motor?
Rated for 100kg?

You got a mezzanine you can observe from?

Try feeding it 75hz…or 90.

Ours came with a Siemens control panel with agitate and multiple spin settings. fairly nice rig for the money.

Run it like you stole it.

Open the box and explain to it you want to go faster!

Observe from a safe distance.

2 Likes

Nice! thanks for all the responses.

I’m currently using a noodle press for reclamation. It works really well, leaves behind these cool looking cake discs of biomass. There is still loss though. for a 150ml batch, i get about 130ml back.

I like the idea of a centrifuge… I had not thought of that, will have to look into it.

For higher concentrations, I can add more biomass to the same amount of oil. But yes… at a point, you become limited to how much you can fit, in which case I agree the solvent extraction method would be better. right now seems I can comfortably fit about 28-30 grams into 150ml of oil. I could probably go as high as 36-38g. My current problem is my 17.5% biomass ended up testing to about 10%cbd. This will work well for 15mg/ml solutions, but not so much for 30mg/ml solutions… Im receiving some new biomass that should be a higher cbd concentration. Hopefully this one will be good for targeting a 30mg/ml solution. I like @ky_cbd idea about repeating the steps with the same oil, but like you point out, you lose oil each time.

Ultimately, I’d like to develop a process using simple oil extraction to have a 15 mg/ml and a 30mg/ml product.

Does anyone have data on “extraction efficiency” of different carrier oils and their maximum solubility?

2 Likes

I’d skip the decarb and go straight into oil. Cook for 60min, possibly a little longer based on 3rd party test results.

It should improve the taste, retain more of the terps, and simplify your process.

1 Like

Interesting, and it would still convert enough cbdA to cbd?

Do you think he would achieve a good de-carb in the oil during extraction?

1 Like

Blockquote Check the primary literature… Link here Stupid question… oils tinctures/lipid infusion

Thanks! this is a great thread

1 Like

60min at 100C should get the job pretty much done.

that is an educated guess…and one I recommend double checking

1 Like

Why does everyone want to obtain a 100% Decarb. Seems kind of ignorant to me. Acidic molecules have their own benefits

It’s more important in my opinion to retain terpenes than it is to achieve a full decarb

3 Likes

Agreeeed Im one to do a full decarb and then add in some cbda by means of bho or crude during the Formulation of the final product so I can control the ratios

1 Like

abso-fucking-lutely!

we all know how we got there.

this shit doesn’t get me high…

what many don’t grok is the 50+ years of research Mechoulam et al have put into this “no known medical uses” plant and it’s secondary metabolites.

for those who haven’t noticed the data dump yet…

1 Like