Does methanol extraction avoid waxes?

Dielectric constant is one figure that ive seen used to make a determination about polarity. Hildebrand solubility parameter and Hansen solubility parameter are both systems used to determine polarity as well but they are kinda complicated.

It should be noted though that no one system can accurately describe every compound.

2 Likes

Dipole movement is another concept you should look into.

2 Likes

Yeah, I never took any chemistry courses in post secondary, but I know with econ/business you learn stuff at the 100 level, then learn to unlearn everything each year to come :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I never even took chemistry in high school. Funny thing is I started reading about this while i was still in high school but didnt want to take chemistry as a class. I’ve got the aspergers and this is just one of my many weird interests.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right, if you have two immiscible solvents, and two compounds with differing partition coefficients, you can separate the two with a finally tuned LLE. Actually a variant of this concept is the basis of centrifugal partition chromatography. This performs the function of chromatography with the compounds separated by their partition coefficient.

A simple manifestation might be a counter current separation where methanol goes one way and hexane the other. As they flow the methanol would continuously extract THC from the hexane while hexane would continuously extract waxes from the methanol, and over a long enough phase exchange, you would get good separation.

This is basically guaranteed to work in the abstract, however for many systems with close affinities it may require a very complex engineered process to be feasible.

4 Likes

Does it interact in way that the more time/interactions that occur the finer the separation? Or does it just quickly settle out at the aforementioned affinity (i.e. 40%//60%)

That’s a question of kinetics and I don’t know how thoroughly it needs to be mixed to reach the ultimate ratio for any individual compound. Back in school I was told a few good shakes and swirls should be enough. No harm in going over the top though, as long as it’s not making tough emulsions.

1 Like

The terms “miscible” and “immiscible” are generalizations that are used to describe levels of solubility between 2 liquids. Something can be “sparingly soluble” and one paper will call it immiscible, while another might call it partially miscible or denote a percentage of miscibility.

6 Likes

Quote I found online

"According to the phase diagram for the system ethanol—n-heptane—water at 25 ºC (*), ethanol is miscible with n-heptane at that temperature for the whole composition range, but phase separation may possibly occur for n-heptane richer solvent mixtures if water is present, even if at a relatively small amount. "

1 Like

Makes sense as I have had ACS grade Heptane mix with water and act stable until chilled

2 Likes

Would methanol be an alright choice to extract hemp crude?

1 Like

No, methanol extracts too many sugars for it to be a good choice of solvent for an initial extraction. Methanol is best used just for winterization. @Infoseeker

5 Likes

You got charring too?

1 Like

No I dont even produce distillate. A few weeks ago I posted a study wherein the researchers measured the solubility of various simple sugars in ethanol, isopropyl, and methanol. IIRC the result was that ethanol at low temperatures hardly dissolved much of any of the sugars but methanol was shown to dissolve quite a bit of most of the sugars they tested and it did so at all thw temps the researchers tested at.

Isopropyl was somewhere in the middle.

@Apothecary36

5 Likes

I think that might explain this…

1 Like

Did you extract with methanol to begin with in that post? Like from the plant material? Because if so, that could be the case.

1 Like

No, it was -18 ethanol, but thAt would likely still show some sugars. I’m guessing with winterization in ethanol it excludes the sugars a bit better. Whereas methanol pushes out waxes/fats better.

1 Like

I’ll try to find that pdf for u

Sorry can u link to that experiment?

Darn thought it would be a cheap alternative.