Does methanol extraction avoid waxes?

Hey,

A few people hinted at it, but didn’t really confirm it. Does methanol extract require winterizing after? It’s going into distillate.

Some people hinted that the highly polar nature of it made it so wax wasn’t picked up… Is that true? I’m guessing there’s still some winterizing and degumming that need to take place?

Also, for an LLE is it as simple as mixing a 50L barrel of methanol extracted stuff with hexane/heptane, and then the majority of my cannabanoids are now in the alkane? Hit with a separatory funnel and call it a day?

2 Likes

A 2x or 3x. Wash is necesary with LLE
To catch transfer all cannabinoids
Winterizing is still necesary When warm extracted

8 Likes

No thats not how liquid liquid works, follow me on IG i just did L/L to lighten some warm extracted alcohol crude i explain how it works there my IG is kingofthekush4201

5 Likes

Be careful what you mix, they have to be inmiscible meaning they wont mix. If theyre miscible youll get 1 fluid that wont separate

4 Likes

Methanol pure methanol
Is miscibel with pure alkanen
By ading water 3/5% iT s not miscble Any more yet the cannabinoids still prefure the methanol
By adding more water the cannabinoids prefure the alkane
But at all water% added Some cannabinoids stay in the methanol /water solution in minute amounts

7 Likes

@beaker and @Photon_noir have explanations on this forum

3 Likes

Methanol and heptane are inmiscible even without water

3 Likes

As you can see by this chart, hexane and heptane are inmiscible in methanol

7 Likes

Thats actually not how it works. I did it with methanol with no water. The water is to help push fats out when you winterize. Cannabinoids are non polar, they would rather be in non polar heptane then the polar methanol. This has nothing to do with water.

2 Likes

Followed! I’ll take a gander :slight_smile:

Methanol pulls a lot less wax but im moving towards saturating the crude tincture more, then filtering. Im getting precipitation from saturated methanol tincture (warm methanol extraction).

Methanol extraction → filter @ 5 micron → 50-80% methanol recovery-> filter @0.5 micron → 100% methanol recovery → crude

3 Likes

Oh nice I was hoping that might happen.

I was gonna do a two stage extraction. First stage do either fast cold ethanol or maybe even pentane or something just to get a nice first pass product.

Then do a second longer extraction with methanol but really suck out whatever’s in there. Was gonna use LLE on a super saturated methanol tincture to avoid evaporating it as well.

1 Like

Sir , Restek the provider of cannabinoid standerds has done research in the affinity of cannabinoids and solvents
Turns out that chloroform is favorit
Then methanol and after that somewhere hexane
Please look ik up
There is also a swiss research with almost same results
When i have My cannabinoids in hexane
And add pure methanol to the sep funnel
I can wait forever on layers to form
I have wAited 4 hours not a layer formed
Once a small amount of water is added (3%) layers Will form and by volume already one can see that the cannabinoids have jumeped to the methanol layer
Giving iT a distinct red color
What can i say iT does this every time and is one of the greatest cleanup sop s in My repertoire

7 Likes

Ok… So you guys seem to be both doing the same experiment with different results?

1 Like

And is methanol miscible in hep/hex?

If i dissolve My crude oil in hexane and place iT in a seperatory funnel
Add pure methanol mix iT up iT doesn t split after 4 hours i never wait that long in general i mix for 3 to 5 min with a overhead mixer in a Beaker
Then place in sep funnel
Then Ad water 3-5% and then iT splits
@beaker has an extensive explanation in his LLE tread
@Photon_noir has Some explanation about LLE
If not mistaken @coppertop has done iT with similar results
So what can i say i use iT and i am also finding in My lab reports of hex side and methanol side that sertain cannabinoids
CBN in My case seem to like hexane a little more
So as in My tread help!!! I give a bit more info of My findings
I have achieved 89% cannabinoid content
With Brine ph swing cleaning first then this tech and at last a filtration with bentonite AC and magsil
This tech really gets rid of Many non water solubales

3 Likes

Cannabinoids will always favor a non polar solvent over a polar one. Hexane will always take a while to separate even with water thats why i use heptane :slight_smile: youre very mistaken if you think cannabinoids would rather be in a polar solvent then a non polar. If that were true liquid liquid wouldnt have worked with pure methanol and heptane (which is what i used). My results are on my page.

3 Likes

On my page i post a video where i had the same problem with hexane and methanol, try heptane it seperates in minutes. Its twice as expensive though. And you dont need water to make it inmiscible in methanol. It also works with ethanol, where as i tried hexane and 190 and they mixed. Heptane wont mix period with either

2 Likes

So, the cannabinoids go from the methanol to the heptane?

Yes, pretty much you winterize first then wash with heptane untill the heptane is clear. The whole point of this is to keep polar molecules like chloraphyll in the alchol while the cannabinoids jump to the heptane

4 Likes