Does kratom cause physical dependence?

When was the last time you went cold turkey?

For science of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Curious what symptoms would be like, I think they really kick in after day 2 or 3?

1 Like

I stopped for a few weeks maybe 6 months ago.

First week was bleh, After that I was fine. Just focused on exercising before and after work and smoked a bunch more weed lol

Full transparency: Maybe my perspective is skewed because I cold turkied off Xanax and adderall and that was absolute shit. literally cancelled my insurance for awhile to make that shit inaccessible. Lol

I have such bad adhd without something to assist me get through the paper work etc I have to deal with at work, that I started taking it again.

4 Likes

Have you tried any other nootropics with any success?

I have trouble researching this kind of thing without running into shills that tell you it all works.

3 Likes

No, Never tried any others.

Yeah that’s always the vibe I get when looking into it…

2 Likes

1 ounce throughout the day is not good. Tolerance will only continue to build as it already has, an ounce a day is nuts. It just takes a thought like “what if I didn’t have to shovel this nasty, barely-soluble in water powder into my mouth and just took a pill instead?” for the spiral to begin. Addiction is not rational, addicts will justify anything. I don’t really ever want to see anyone go through what my friend has with his kratom and later opioid addiction.

He was sharp, just out of the ivy league, and eyes set on National Geographic. Few months later it was “Hey man can you tell this church in Texas that I am ok to leave to go to your place because they won’t let me leave unless you say so. I have a job lined up in Georgia I just have to get there so I can get to it”. He had no job. His crazy well-off parents (if he was poor boy this would have been a shorter story) had already put him in rehab twice and he escaped twice, so he was cut off completely. He was couch-surfing and stealing. The sheer manipulation in his speech honestly disgusted me. His brain was just rewired to do anything, not directly his fault though. I told him “Go back to rehab” and hung up. You don’t want to be saying that to your uncle, so just observe and monitor usage casually if you don’t already want to intervene.

To be honest, I really think it was the crushing weight of his parents’ accomplishments, that he could never live up to them and everything he did would be attributed to them in some way. But I can say for sure, if he didn’t get into the Kratom he would have never known that opiate/opioid content feeling that makes everything ok. No one’s life is perfect, and everyone is susceptible to addiction.

5 Likes

Roughly 6 half gram pills 3 x per day

3 Likes

He does 14g twice a day and doesn’t seem to mind the flavor. I showed up to his house and he was sippin on it like it was tea. :nauseated_face:

He kicked his alcohol addiction with the help of kratom and has just progressively upped the dose. So I don’t really know what to say to him. He’s definitely doing better than he was last year, less of a dickhead. My aunt seems to think because it’s natural that it’s on the same level as weed.

I don’t know how I should approach this or if I even should.

2 Likes

Holy shit, a 14 gram dose is reaching the more opiate style effects…I haven’t ever taken it to that extreme. I would puke if I drank that much in one sitting (that amount would make me so fucking nauseas)

Maybe bring it up to him that he can still get most of the benefits he is looking for with a smaller dose and explain how he can taper down to something more within reason.

I have kept the same dosage for a really long time and still get what I’m looking for out of it…

1 Like

At least he’s getting his fibre :man_shrugging:

Dunno, if it’s a substitute for something worse than perhaps it’s not terrible.

But perhaps he should seek some help for whatever’s compelling him to ingest massive amounts of substances to dull whatever’s going on to push him there.

Might not be as easy of a fix as just stopping, when something’s driving him to use whatever’s around.

2 Likes

Say Jesus fucking Christ! Holmes cuzz uncle wahtevsss… But what the fuck? I’m here to help, and you give me this…

Tell him that, or throw him out

He and my dad emigrated from Bosnia in the 90s during the war. I know he’s got good reason to want to take whatever will take his mind somewhere else.

4 Likes

Yeah I haven’t heard much for positive/non-horrific stories from Bosnia. Lots of brutality.

Therapy if he’s open to it and lots of it, although that ain’t cheap.

The horrors of war aren’t always curable, not sure how deep that trauma goes.

Some people aren’t dealt the cards in life for clean living to be easy. Although that doesn’t mean it’s not worth pursuing.

Maybe just suggest breaks for tolerance and dependency. A good week off every month, or at least a few days ever couple weeks might do some good if cold turkey isn’t in the cards.

There’s certainly worse things to be hooked on, although I don’t know if we’ve got a ton on long term kratom use. I can’t imagine it’s doing wonders for the kidney or liver (although certainly less damaging than booze).

4 Likes

Do you really get relief from 3-6 grams per dose several times a day?

I had to do 10-14 grams grams to feel effects with fully UV oxidized product an had trouble moving my bowels.

2 Likes

Massive potency swings are pretty normal with leaf I’ve found (although perhaps that’s changed).

3 Likes

Yeah I most def do. Just a little kick in the arse. Helps my adhd better than addies ever did…

I found a brand that seems to not vary In potency too much and I stick with it.

Not really sedative effects or anything (ok maybe just slightly if I take 6 grams at end of day, mixed with a few dabs)

I’m not taking it for pain management, which could be the difference between my situation and others.

3 Likes

What’s the significance of the UV oxidation? Does that convert the mitragynine to 7-hydroxymitragynine?

1 Like

I know each “vein/color” is really just a different curing method of the same plant.

4 Likes

Yes as far as I’ve seen. Vein colors are irrelevant. It’s TAC plus oxidation for analgesic effects.

2 Likes

Kratom is ultimately how I kicked coke, shit works great.

2 Likes

Kratom is a weird one. I was a very serious heroin addict for years and found kratom after being away from opiates for around 3 years. I was hesitant to try it but it’s not a very “reinforcing” drug like heroin or other opiates. I’ll drink some tea and dry swallow about 3-5 grams at a time and it’s like coffee without anxiety for me. I don’t personally redose. Every now and then it’ll bother my stomach (can cause bloating and nausea) and I’ll stop for a week or so then resume. Don’t notice withdrawal in any classic sense though sometimes things will flow more easily after ceasing for a few days.

It’s a strange one because I don’t notice the feeling of “wanting” it in the classic sense. Honestly i dislike the taste but like that i can use it to replace coffee which i can’t handle but still like something to motivate me in the morning.

Been meaning to play with UV oxidation but haven’t done so yet.

2 Likes