Does kratom cause physical dependence?

Had an argument with one of my uncles about this.

I just found out that he’s eating like an oz of kratom a day. It’s clearly a habit forming substance, but does anyone know if it can cause physical dependence?

4 Likes

Iv heard good and bad.
I believe it is habit forming and if too much ingested can cause phycosis and even death.

1 Like

Yes, it causes opiate like withdrawls.

My partner worked at one of the larger kratom distributors in Canada. They had kratom drinks on tap.

Most of the staff were high all the time😂

They had to set warnings and mandate substance breaks because lots of their staff were going through withdrawals.

14 Likes

Yeah it does. To an extent…

I drink it daily. That’s said i wouldn’t say the side effects are quiet like opiates (maybe a tiny bit), but More like stopping caffeine for me…

I replaced caffeine, anxiety meds and a couple scripts of adderal with kratom. I’m fine with the few small side effects it does have compared to my previous vices…

That said, at the end of the day it’s still a vice.

17 Likes

I know a couple people who use it for pain management and tell me it’s better than the opiate withdrawals.

2 Likes

Online or off I’d be curious to hear more about your experiences here

5 Likes

I will dm you. Idk if everyone wants to hear my life story.

Lol

7 Likes

He’s not just one, but one of many. Including me, him and I have talked about it personally for quite a bit, and I feel our daily dose is about matched.

Anybody taking an ounce of ANYTHING a day is going to have issues… Honestly… I’ve never had much of a withdraw feeling from kratom. Restlessness maybe, but nothing like the malaise of opiate withdraw.

I’ve come off of everything and use only mushrooms, kratom, and cannabis. Plants provide all we need really. IMO

9 Likes

Would love to hear your experiences too fam

1 Like

Been amazing and recommend it daily. On top of entire life changes, it’s been an amazing trip! I look forward to tomorrow which is more than I could say heavily medicated by whatever they prescribed. If you take your wellness into your own hands, you’ll be better off.
Uless you’re like really dying, or have an essential need for medication try what the earth offers

7 Likes

It helped me kick my daily heroin habit, as well as curb my Suboxone withdrawals pretty significantly.

It gave me enough energy at low dose to be able to have a life while I detoxed.

So I can certainly attest that the kratom withdrawals are much more mild than a serious opiate habit, although I hadn’t tried an oz of kratom per day to compare lol.

16 Likes

Only tried a brew once and had elevated levels of anxiety the next day. Similar to having been drunk the day before. Was a powerful and unexpected side effect.

2 Likes

The first time I tried was straight powder 5? years ago. I was super duper drowsy the next day. However, things were very different from then till now.

I’ll be honest, I was so freaking nauseous from coming off of Lyrica it was the only thing that made me able to eat, and not puke. That was months ago… Here we are

1 Like

I tried 6 grams for my first time and it was almost like being drunk for the first time except I got the sweats real bad and hesrt palpitations similar to how actual opiates make me feel.

I cant even imagine what eating an oz would be like, would probably just make me sick.

Should I be concerned that he’s taking so much? That’s what the argument was about, I was worried he’d have a heart attack or something.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s an addict… It’s making him feel good so it’s honestly only natural…

I can’t imagine an ounce a day! Comparably for me, it would be 2 half gallons of vodka a day. Which I have done, but was homeless

2 Likes

If it’s an oz spread throughout the day I don’t think it’s honestly that big of a deal…

An oz at one time would be fucked…

Less is more with kratom for me. I like the nootropic dose.

4 Likes

What dose do you take?

I used it recreationally a few times and see how it could have abuse potential even with limited exposure.

I like between 3-6 grams 3 times a day (sometimes will do 4 if I’m working late)

Dose size depending on time of day and how previous dose treated me. I step my doses up a tiny bit with each additional dose. Helps keep the effects similar to the first dose of the day.

Morning (like 7am), lunch and around 5pm

6 Likes

Yep. I had a friend that started with Kratom and he is now in rehab (again, after escaping) for opiates as it progressed to pills. Tread carefully my friends.

4 Likes