Does butane freeze into a solid

I did some research on butane and all I could really find is that butane has a melting temp of about -130~-140. So this may be a stupid question but is there a such thing as too cold when running a butane extraction I.E. does it freeze if using like -200c LN2

The melting temperature is the temperature that it goes from solid to liquid. So if it is colder than it’s melting temperature… It will not have melted.

4 Likes

Butane can freeze with ln2

3 Likes

When I used to open blast…15 years ago…I’d get a frozen butane iceberg in my pyrex collection after a lot of constant blasting.

Kinda difficult to wrap my mind around, being that it’s got to be -200f or something to freeze.

But with the volume we ran, I believe there was so much evaporation that it dropped the temp of the collection and some of it froze…how or why…I dont know. But we did this along the banks of a river…so there was no warm water to thaw anything…and the butane ice berg rarely occurred.

This was in my Humboldt days, so my memory could be a bit foggy…

So the answer is yes, it has a temp where it freezes…so theoretically you could run it too cold. What would be the advantage of running solvent at -200f instead of -100f?

It sounds like you had moisture freezing not butane

5 Likes

Which was kinda my thought, but the extract was always quality, which made me wonder. If moisture was in there…why was the extract ok? And this this was dry biomass. Sun dried outdoor, dry as a bone.

Go shoot 30 or 40 cans of tane through a home made copper closed column as fast as you can load…two units so one is blasting one is being packed…you might get an ice berg.

That was just condensation freezing. It takes a lot of energy to reach -200c.

1 Like

Gotcha. That would explain where the moisture came from. Was it so minimal it didnt effect the extract much? I didnt know now what I know then, so I always assumed it was frozen butane and hadn’t given it a second thought.

Yes sir. The melting point of Butane is -138c. Ln2 in a liquid state is in the -180-190c range. Open blasting probably had your extract around 20f causing condensation then freezing.

5 Likes

took the words out of my mouth

1 Like

See…these are old stoner memories with stoner assumptions(I was also 20 years old)from back in the day being busted by science 15 years later. Thank you two for that.

With this site, and really its members, I can better understand and learn from experiences from 15 years ago.

Science > tribal knowledge

That is exactly what I thought. I guess I just wanted a second opinion on the question. Thanks everyone for the input!!!