Does anyone know how to solventlessly seperate thc out of type 3, cbd rosin?

I cultivate and extract type 3, cbd hemp via bubble hash and press it into rosin to create all of our CBD products on our family farm. I mix our rosin with isolate, distillate, or a carrier oil depending on the product to remain compliant but I would love to be able to offer higher dosed/ strictly CBD Rosin products.

This year I’ll be cultivating and attempting to harvest CBG with as little THC as possible in hopes of mixing only CBD and CBG Rosin while remaining compliant.

Does anyone have any ideas on being able to solventlessly separate THC from Type 3 rosin?

Here’s a relevantish post I found from searching. I’m sure there’s more under the remediation tags

2 Likes

I am not aware of a solventless process for chromatography to remove THC from other products.

Starting with THC free material (which I have seen…) is perhaps the process. And it looks like you are already researching those cultivars.

I’m not really sure about getting away from a solvent to do chromatography. And I don’t know that you could do that kind of chromatography with just water…I suppose you could try. But even then - its a lot of extra work.

Best bet is the path you are already on. And diluting with existing products that came from processes where THC remediation is possible.

2 Likes

Cbga can be mechanically isolated from delta 9 very easily. The process is the same as separating thca from d9 and terps.

The process for mech. Sep of cbga happens between 204 and 210f. Very easy to get to 99% purity, the final % of impurity for me was cbc and guiol, the final product was ND thc and thca

When you press cbga rosin, you need pretty extreme temps fyi. 230f is a baseline. Fun fact, press bags fail at pressure under those temps so use steel screens :+1: . Only time those things are useful

6 Likes

Interesting remark…and nice work…

Are you saying at this temp and “pressing”. The THCA and THC remove themselves by flowing into rosin exudate of press…leaving the CBGA behind in the bag…?

Just trying to figure out exactly what you mean.

Regards,

In cbga rosin, the amount of d9 is already very low. It easily excudes at the temperatures where cbga remains in the bag. Some thca could remain, but both the initial pressing and the isolation are done at such high temps, it usually decarbs all of the thca and will then move with the waxes and other mobile compounds

Look up solvenntless mechanical separation of thca. So you can get a visual

Its literally putting nucleated rosin in a micron bag and pressing it. Gradually raising the temperature and pressure to force compounds through the filter as the reach melting point

Start at lower pressures and temps to move the more volatile and mobile compounds.

As those compounds leave, the thca becomes less easily dissolved or melted so more pressure and heat gets added.

Yes I understand…but I am asking specifically how do you think you are achieving the CBGA separation from THCA…

Are you melting the THCA to liquid at 204-210 and pressing it out to leave behind the CBGA…which you press out higher temp in a secondary step. But it is your theory that the THCA decarbs at 204-210 during the brief pressing step. Because that temp range is so precise…I thought maybe you had dialed in the THCA melting temp.

Have you ever just put THCA crystalline form in a bag and determined its melting temp on your press set up.
It can melt to liquid with out significant decarb.

Thanks for your insights.

So the melting point of thca is really relative to purity, and even at high purity, 1% of one impurity vs another changes how it acts ime

At 210f with all of the waxes and volatiles in the cbga rosin, that small amount of thca is mobile certainly

If it was a chunk of pure thca on the press? It might take 300f to actually get it all to move out of the bag.

Theres some really strange things that happen with thca and heat that arnt really researched i think. Thca generates a small charge as it gains heat energy for instance.

Well when you are pressing fresh trichomes, you may well have a mixture of crystalline THCA, solvent dissolved THCA acid and solvent dissolved THCA- Anion. There is also the possibility of the a dimer of acid form with homologous base anion. So I am certainly not surprised at your comment concerning the development of an “ electronic charge” developing as the in situ solvents are removed.

We have done considerable work pressing hydrates of THCA obtained from water processing (3 buckets and a Buchner) , So we are not exactly naive about the subject at hand.

As you suggest …very complex mass transport mechanisms.

We were pressing to remove hydrates at sub 212F…and leaving THCA behind, not trying to transport it out of the bag…while trying to not decarb. We have also studied non pressure and microwave baths. Your precise note of temp range “204-210 F”, just triggered an interest in your work.

Thanks

1 Like

Feel free to dm im definitely curious on what you are doing in regards to thca research.

1 Like

Just re read your comment. Just to clarify. thca as an isolate capable of crystillizing, will generate a small (millivolt) charge as its heated. To the point where conglomerated particles will hover in a plastic container! Theres a video buried deep withjn my phone ill have to find eventually. The change is most notable between 55 and 70f ( with my measurement capabilities).

It reminds me of quartz and piezo electrics.

2 Likes

Please send video/photo when you find.
Assuming polyethylene or HDPE.

!!!

1 Like

It was a centri-star 100ml centrifuge tube.

1 Like

Its not a dramatic effect by any means, but it is erratic movement that didnt correspond to my motions or gravity.

That’s static, tons of powders do that. They sell a charge dissipating gun to try to stop that which is kind of a modified bbq grill igniter

https://www.amazon.com/Milty-5036694022153-Zerostat-Anti-Static-Blue/dp/B0033SHDSS

2 Likes

Yes but we also measured the effect in a farady cage. It still gained voltage as temperature rose without agitation or a plastic or friction source.