Do you need high pressure tri clamps?

Howdy all first post I think

Was just seeking a bit of clarity regarding tri-clamp safety ratings.

I run a small (1.5") column and have normal single hinge clamps.

I’m running a 60/40 butane propane mix so my pressure should be a little on the high side, however from what I’m reading for 1.5" the pressure rating is 500 psi at room temp. My collection and reservoir are both 4" so feel like they should be upgraded although at room temp 4" is rated to 200 psi. With high pressure clamps the max would be 1500 psi and 800 psi at room temp.

My gut is telling me i’m on the border for the single hinge for the 4" but with a PRV I should be safe with single hinge clamps on the column, and upgrading the 4" to HP clamps

What’s the general opinion? everything has to be the beefiest or operate within safe margins?

from https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-fittings-high-pressure-clamps.html

The ratings for single pin 1.5 clamps say it’s ok, but I don’t trust em.

I have bolted clamps for all of my stuff, 1.5 columns included.

2 Likes

Also, clamps are cheap for 4" and below, might as well upgrade.

3 Likes

The smaller sized stuff is not available in my country, 2" + is around but I have to order from US/China to get smaller sizes. I was going to go pick some up from a stainless company locally so I could do a run.

Ahhh, I see. The one thing to take into account is ideally you’re working with cooold temps and I’m not sure of the pressure ratings at those temperatures.

I have seen you want your clamps to hold double the psi of what your expecting.

Also fyi, prv’s aren’t something that is reusable, if you pop one, it needs to be replaced.

Edit: point I’m making with the prv is don’t rely on em, of you have a 125psi prv like a bunch of people do, I totally wouldn’t trust those clamps.

2 Likes

No amount of money is worth safety!

If part of that clamp broke off and hit your eye making you blind. Would you say that $100 In replacement clamps was worth your eye??

I don’t think so. These extractors can be dangerous when not taken seriously! It’s not worth it! Order direct from China if you need to but get it done.

11 Likes

Listen to killa, pay the extra cash man. It’s a small expense in the end.

6 Likes

More true words are rarely spoken! Overbuilt is always better than the alternatives. No reason to not spend the money and keep everyone safe. Not just the operator in immediate proximity who is at risk if something goes south.

5 Likes

I come from a chemical engineering background so don’t stress out, we would never over spec something by that kind of margin. I agree that the 4" needs to be an HP clamp but the 1.5" is well within the pressure ratings, in fact, it’s rated to 3x higher pressure and I have an adjustable exhaust valve. Like I said I can pick up 4" stuff locally but it will be 3+ weeks to get something from overseas. I will order some just because I don’t like single hinge the bolt threads way to easy with meaty PTFE gaskets and I think that poses the biggest safety risk.
But I don’t think 1 or 2 runs between then and now with HP clamps on the 4" is unsafe

1 Like

I agree. 500 psi is a huge safety factor for the expected pressure of this system. Price shouldn’t matter here, but the hinged type is way faster to take on and off.

3 Likes

the leverage of your column bending off center on your extractor tower breaks the hinge pin or the thread pin more often than pressure

2 Likes

The added safety is worth the extra time it takes to assemble a system IMO. I’ll choose safety over convenience any day.

Hinged clamps stretch and wear out pretty fast if they’re being disassembled every time. While they may be fine for X amount of uses it really isn’t worth the risk. Also cheaper to change out nuts and bolts in the long run.

1 Like

Clean up a CRC mess after clamp failure then ask if HP clamps are needed lol

4 Likes