Do material socks effect yield at all?

SO just like the question reads, DO material socks affect yields at all?
Also, is it necessary to have a shower head with them? or is it more effective?
Last question, what’s the best way to load the socks?
Thanks fellas

2 Likes

I know a lot of people using them on the lager scale. Think there is more info on here if you look.

There are pros and cons, usually you add less material with the socks. It is convenient to just pull them out and reload so the material difference can be made up with speed if you want. I dont get any less yield running them, i just always have to adjust the socks to fit correctly. A 4” sock packed full is a pain in the ass to load, i have mine sewn to be 3.5” and do 27” sections with the strings tied together. Its alot easier getting a 27” one to load than a 48” one. Personally if my spot allowed i would go back to an air compressor to empty them, i could pack more and was actually faster for me to do it that way. But its an easy thing for employees to grasp, nust fill these and tie them

12 Likes

How were you emptying your column with the compressor? And at what bar did you have to go to?

right with you…

I don’t particularly like socks, but they do reduce the mess in the booth. they don’t reduce yield, but do reduce loading. by as much as 50% if they don’t fit well.

Boss man ordered some 4000 socks that were both too big, AND too small…

nominal diameter AND hight matched tube, which seems right until you try and pack them them into the tube.

I modified a couple, and proved I could get 40% more into a smaller diameter bag…then I got lucky and discovered that I could use the “sanitize” function on my (new to me) washing machine (built in heating element) to shrink them!!!

the bags could have done with another 2-3" in hight BEFORE I shrunk them. shrinking them still increased throughput.

4 Likes

Agreed, throughput became the trade off for me with socks. Not a huge amount, but significant in my experience (I use the Corlee Valve fitting socks)

The ability to reduce the mess and batch up some of the work (like packing) helped my sanity enough I’d rather run less.

1 Like

Someone had told me about shrinking them but never how made it sound like they do it over time but all the socks i ever ran never shrank so i just had mine sewn a 1/4-1/2” less than 4” and it works perfect. They actually last longer now cause of the good sewing done to them. I get about 65% of what i would get if I hand packed them. There also great to have employees just pack up a few 100 and be ready for the week

4 Likes

Socks seem to cause channeling for me so I stopped using them. I really don’t get how people use them effectively unless they are just doing multiple soaks instead of pushing solvent through biomass or somehow packaging them in the spool in a way that prevents channeling

Flood the column so u don’t have any dry pockets in the material.

2 Likes

My washing machine has a sanitize function. Super hot water. Shrinks the socks. Feature!

3 Likes

Thats using the ole noodle, ill have to give it a shot

@cyclopath What size and micron do you guys use? Or what size is your spool?

I didn’t spec the bags.
70um or so is my goto.
1/2 height bags in nominal 6”x48” tri-clamp.

not sure on the “right” size for those.
“Shrunk” helped.

Using a different rig these days

The azpressco socks I was using mostly fit, and I always made them fit
I was mostly able to fit 3.25-4 in each sock, depending on material!
Someone told me socks channel, but I thought if it’s all vac’ down and you inject with n2, it would be all goid

Socks can channel if they are a loose fit. Then it is acting like an umbrella in the rain. Have seen them shrink and become a problem over time also.

Path of least resistance rules with all physical motion.

Socks rule. 12”x48 socks who care if u loose a little bit of capacity. The larger diameter of bag makes it extremely easy to pack. They cut down on material all over your floors, prevent u from battling blockages, wasting tons of n2 on trim cannons, they greatly reduce wear on filters, and help with employee retention.

I fell for the sales pitch that u loose yield, but after getting a 12” iron fist hydraulic column packer from 710 recently I have found that the workflow of bags works much better for us than packing columns manually or machine assisted.

Also anyone looking at an iron fist hmu.

2 Likes