Do large scale Ethanol Extractors use copper condensers or just stainless steel?

I want to make that still my wife

What do you use the steam for?

steam? heating the jacket on the boiler.

one could use direct heat…

Note: this was never run in this manner.
I was just messing with the boss on how to scale the turbo 500 from 5-15 gal.

pretty sure this was only a few days before RSOsie self assembled out in the shop.

2 Likes

That’s a wonderful idea. I was thinking a big galvanized horse trough with six hot water heating elements in it. Or like I did when I was shining a good old crab pot cooker propane open flame nothing to make a guys thing on his toes like that

Where can I purchase that tank?

just for @PrecisionNick

2015 PX1 used as an ethanol extraction rig & recovery still

I don’t understand the plumbing as pictured. but it did work. pretty sure the cannabis is in the jacketed column. can’t tell what I was using as a condenser. this was probably my second attempt. the first one was way less obvious…boss told me to make BHO, but we were not licensed for hydrocarbons, so I obsfucated :wink:

looks like it was under vac, so there is probably a cmep-ol off-screen somewhere.

2 Likes

stupid vac still number 6?

I didn’t like the way the ethanol tasted after going through the trs-21. putting the condenser before the pump, and dropping the recovered solvent into a keg would have been a better idea…

that’s a MKIII terp base in a 750W soup tureen. :wink:
there’s a 50’ 3/8" ss coil in the freezer, embedded in ice.

2 Likes

posting here because of the vinegar column wash.

probably helpful to some of our smaller scale/home users as well.

1 Like

Wow this have a long time i know. But… I am building a rusty etoh cold extractor and i am thinking in use a 80 L freeze as the “tank”, doing holes and put a serpentin inside conected to the chill( 5L -80c) is small but i can down to -60 in a nigth with a serpentin in open air tank without aislation, i can imagin insade a freez that is running ON in a nigth they will go to -70c easy. Then open the door and start to do 1kg washes and spin, the drains panda conect to the freez to recycle the etoextract for saturate the etoh to finish the washes.

My crazy doubt is if i can put directly the eto into the freeze, in the insaid are covered with a layer of Aluminum. My first idea is puting a tank or make a inox cover inside

1 Like

stomach acid is enough, stop eating aluminum foil kids

I dont think panda is meant to be loaded that much…it might take a long time to drain and spin and drain and spin heating up the etoh

Here the “pandas” comes to spin 6,2 kg of wet cloth, you says 1 kg of wet biomass, maybe is 3 or 4 kg ? Will not work well? I am very sad… I think i will try any ways Thanks man

The etoh (40Liters) will be inside a freezer in a inox tank, and inside the tank a seprentine conected too the -80 chill,all close , and do 20 wash of 1 kg, (the 20kg will be freezen). The drain of the panda conected to the inside of the freezer(hole) and drain to the inox tank. When finish let the chill runing some houres to down the minimun temp that he can and filter with vacuum in a keg tank funnel

So my 2cents on this is we have used copper and stainless coils/condensers in ethanol recovery vessels/extractors and copper will have more scaling issues "build up on the walls inner and outer " so generally requires more cleaning . not a chemist so not familiar of the role composition change would make during extraction with the galvanic corrosion with 2 different metals but would probably play a part .

Yeah, you’ll probably want to avoid eating aluminum foil… and rubies while you’re aluminum-abstinent! :crazy_face: