DIY ultrasonic probe

I’m planning on making an ultrasonic cleaner for engine parts and also plan on sharing the build. They can be made for a fraction of the cost of what they can be bought for.

I assume some folks will get some benefit out of this.

My build is going to use 4 60w transducers fixed to the bottom of a steel sink. I plan on isolating the sink as best I can from any vibration to keep the energy directed towards the solution.

Does anyone have any insights on this before I get to buying shit?

5 Likes

Would i be able to use a single probe that contacts the solution instead of fixing transducers to the bottom of the sink?

2 Likes

I’m about to dismantle a busted ultrasonic bath to harvest it’s internal organs for use in dangerous scientific experiments, I will go live on Instagram when I do so and show you how it’s laid out

@vene.ficium

This will likely be happening tomorrow eve,but it depends really on the luck of the critters in da back 40

I need a freshly killed gray squirrel to proceed.

4 Likes

Awesome, ill be tuning in. What broke on your unit?

1 Like

Not sure, it was found dead in a junkyard and I haven’t opened it up to find out, in good shape but had a sticker that says “doesn’t work”

Good enough for me.

1 Like

Do you happen to know how many watts of ultrasound I should need to apply to roughly 500 gallons of water to still have a decent effect?

In the future I’d like to make an ultrasonic bath large enough to dip some engine blocks in. This project im posting about is just a precursor to a larger build

@SidViscous I bet you got something to add.

Go look on alibaba to they probably have some massive units, then go check the specs for the wattage. I don’t believe I’ve seen 500 gallon units before so you might not find it. The other problem with that is hot/cold spots.

1 Like

This is why my initial thoughts on it were multiple transducers were better than one big one. But I’m not sure how I’m going to attach them.

How big of an issue will the hot spot be? I’m assuming I can’t fix the situation by just adding sacrificial circulation pumps to the reservoir.

1 Like

When I was in Denver they had these three foot long probes that the dipshits were using to make drinks, like extract watermelon into rum
In styrofoam
Cups

I think it was a 20kw probe

They were planning on hammermilling down and pelletizing biomass, then rehydrating it In cryo-ethanol by blasting it with ultrasound in these massive reactors that then pumped the slurry into centrifuges the size of a Volkswagen

The insides of the evaporators matched to the ultrasonic reactors, there were four of them total each with multiple probe tips, they were mangled and pitted and total trash - the US skid was decent looking though

500gal? That’s a fuck ton of watts - but they use US to clean the heat exchanges on petroleum plants so they DO exist to that scale

4 Likes

You can see an example of an Olympic pool sized ultrasonic cleaner in this video series

Which is also the most awesomely dry And boring video on the subject I have ever seen yet filled with neat and useful info

4 Likes

For a bath of that size I would use a combo of horns dropped into the liquid surface coupled with transducers lining the walls of the bath

the horns can be repositioned for targeted cleaning, and when not in use you can solvate styrofoam byproducts and BPAs into your drinks better

3 Likes

We <3 you rowan

2 Likes

wrong thread, vote for pedro

5 Likes

Lol I meant to say 50 gallons. But thank you so far for what you’ve provided :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

here are some specs on sonicors large tanks

1 Like

As much as I love machines that shout at things to make them clean, generally jet washers are used for cleaning engine blocks because they require a fraction of the energy of US and are also better at removing chunks of shit that doesn’t dissolve (eg metal chip).

4 Likes

Rowan just go with these
(there’s several brands)
titanium rod transducers. They have several benefits such as: avoiding dead spots and hot spots, adaptable to most compatible containers.

httpss://www.ultracleansystems.com/titanium-rod-transducer-technology/

Can I get a transducer made that is not a rod

I guess I’m saying I’d rather use a jet washer than a Rowan for cleaning engine blocks?

2 Likes

I’ve got off what I can using a gas pressure washer, I don’t think a jet washer would be anymore effective than that.

I want the parts to squeak and shine.

1 Like