DIY Molecular Sieve

Ok then!!! That’s gonna knock the cost down by about 100. Lol

1 Like

I think the rounded end cap is so u have the full 3 inches to pull or push on, instead of the liquid/gas being forced through a 1/4" hole at the end.
Theres no need to separate them, u can even place a stainless mesh in between layers if u want to keep them really separate. But I cant see why u would
Definitly get high pressure clamps, you dont need to open it often, ur just gonna pull vac while dropping it in a pot of boiling water to recharge it

Idk about that since no liquid should be in there. Mine isnt a triclamp. The hemispherical end caps have 1/2 npt on them. I threaded a 1/2 valve straight to the caps.

2 Likes

People didnt specify if this was for Butane or ethanol or something else.
If being used for butane, it’s the same concept just in gas form. The filter screen gives the barrier. Whether its 1/4" or 1/2" doesnt matter, your still trying to condense the gas/liquid from 3" to 1/2" If u had a flat end cap. But with the hemispeherical it’s got some space to condense together, like a funnel motion instead of most of it hitting a flat wall and having to move inwards to get past
What do u mean yours arent triclamp?

I’ve got 3inch to 2inch hemispherical that I’m gonna put 2inch flag cap on because it’s all I have at the moment what are some problems I could run into?

I was looking at this thing. It looks like a decent chamber. I would probably pop the screen, and use some screen gaskets. Feed into the flat clamped end, exit out the solid end. Size looks large enough to hold a good supply of sieve material. Any thoughts?

https://smile.amazon.com/BOKYWOX-Tri-Clamp-Sanitary-Straight-Stainless/dp/B07K2TXG6V/ref=pd_cp_328_4?pd_rd_w=kq9zQ&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=YJZBAK1FAA7TEBJHARY6&pd_rd_r=b2bcdcda-2a7b-434c-ade9-2e9a598cfc40&pd_rd_wg=kYybz&pd_rd_i=B07K2TXG6V&psc=1&refRID=YJZBAK1FAA7TEBJHARY6

1 Like

It creates a vortex so all gas/ get exposed to the beads. I tried i years ago since i had both and definitely did a way better job

Would positioning of the sieve make any difference. I am referring to placement of the exit connection, in relation to the entrance connection. As I see it, there are 5 general placements:

1.   Horizontal, entrance and exit are at same level, no gravity effect
 2.   Angled Upward, entrance somewhat lower than exit, slight gravity detain
 3.   Vertical Up, entrance directly below exit, most gravity detain
 4.   Angled Downward, entrance somewhat higher than exit, slight gravity assist
 5.   Vertical Down, entrance directly over exit, most gravity assist

Any opinions?

My choice was always vertical with the exit on top if its flat has can pool in tbere. I also kept mine slightly warm so everything inside stayed a vapor

I was always under the impression your sieve needed hemispherical caps to allow the gas to flow properly through the column

2 Likes

It makes it the most effiecent, craeting a vortex inside so all vapor goes over the beads

I read a thread about it a while ago, dont remember where. I remember the hemispherical end caps are necessary for the operation of the sieve. Something about the way the gas follows the contours promotes the beads to work. Much more important than even dispersion.

Is it important to have the beads contacting the hemispherical parts or are they ok just in the straight section im wondering.

you’re probably referring to the thread I’m thinking of too. I can’t remember where it was but it went into details on the function of the hemi caps.

I do recall them just placing the beads in the straight section with mesh gaskets and leaving the caps have space for the gas to build and flow

2 Likes