DIY Molecular Sieve

I was thinking about building my own with these parts. Any help would be appreciated.
Qty 3 of these 3 x 6 spools
https://www.stainlesssteelexpress.com/3-304ss-sanitary-tri-clamp-spools.html
Qty 2 of these end caps

4 Mesh Gaskets

4 clamps

And then filling each of the three sections with 3A then 4A and then 13x. What do you think?

I had asked the same question.
You want to use hemispherical end caps.

4 Likes

Also I would go with high pressure clamps instead of the quick clamps since this isn’t a part that gets disassembled often.

5 Likes

for what purpose on the end caps?

@Killa12345
Will know better. He is the one that informed me. It’s something with how the gas flows and the flat caps cause issues. Or something along those lines

3 Likes

I feel like a 6x18 will save you $ in the long run as you will only need 2 clamps total

I ended up building my own with parts from hardware factory store. Ended up saving a good chunk. I think I was like 3-350 max into it. Including sieve.
I used 2 hemispherical end caps. 2 hp clamps, 1 3x18 column, sieve, 2 mesh screen gaskets like you mentioned. And 2 valves. And I get you on wanting to use the flat end caps as they are significantly cheaper. But again there must he a reason every molecular sieve I see has hemispherical end caps

1 Like

ironically i just watched a video from Elliot about why you can not use flat end caps on a sieve ,they must be hemispherical to properly work. I do not remember why it probably went over my head you can find the video it if you’d like pretty easy via a google search.

I personally think I learned it from @soxhlet here.

2 Likes

I was just gonna make one of these I was going to use 3inch to 2inch hemispherical cap to two inch flat cap. Would that work? They don’t have any two inch ball reducers in

looks very good, make sure you rinse and dehydrate your molsiv the first time you use it.

using a diptube for insert stream and pull out same cap @photon_noir style is very good for drying gas.

2 Likes

What about 3” x 1/4” Hemispherical Sanitary Stainless Steel Tri-Clamp Reducer & Fitting

https://www.stainlesssteelexpress.com/hemispherical-sanitary-tri-clamp-reducer.html

due to gas expansion the pressures exerted on end caps can be immense. I remember when the first hemispherical hit the market, was a happy day… hemispherical caps can withstand far greater forces than flat caps. a really big concern once you get into the 12-16" lid range…
or are filtering at high pressures with added backpressure.

I’ve personally watched flat 16"ers bend inwards in front of my eyes…back before the hemispherical were pioneered for our purpose. a scary sight to behold.

2 Likes

So my idea about three sections of 6” the first with 3A, the second with 4A and the third with x16. Seem like it would carry any merit? Or just go with 16x and a 3x18 spool?

I don’t see why you couldn’t just layer them inside of one spool.

If I use sections I can keep them separated

Why do you want to keep them separate?

I could have sworn I read that people like to filter through more than one so why not cut out the middle man so to speak. I may have misread. So much reading on here to get to useful info sometimes. Lol

I may be wrong. But I think they just layer them in a single column. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

just pour them in the same tube.
segregation is unnecessary.
although I can’t see that it will do any harm

4 Likes