DIY Cryo Chiller - Huber 930W beware

Well the first paper I posted did use tiny pipe for the test, the actual coating was 10,000 nm thickness and the wall thickness of the pipe was 810,000 nm. I can still see how the effect probably wouldn’t carry over to larger pipe.

If I wanted to test this with say 1/2" copper pipe how do you think I should go about it?

I was thinking of submerging both a coated and uncoated pipe in a bucket and measuring how fast each one heats up the water. Run steam through them as the heat source.

10 um coating on a .81mm thick tube isn’t unnecessarily thin, although the pressure rating wouldn’t be much unless you’re running 1/4" tube or smaller.

As far as testing it, I’d focus on what kind of HX you’d actually be using. Actually doing the anodization isn’t all that challenging, you can probably find a 20 minute youtube video that’ll tell you everything you need to know. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the effort to experiment with but then again, @GroovyOctopusLabs maybe just got us with one of those things lol

Also, you should consider if you’re prepared to build an HX from scratch, because that will be necessary for your experiment. That would be most of the effort

1 Like

For now I’m not messing with chillers but at some point I’ll start leaning more about them. I know some of the basics but putting things together is gonna be where shit gets tuff. I didn’t read any of this thread yet but I bet what OP is trying to build is something he’s better off buying.

Like sometimes I think about buying a chiller off this site vs building one because I know there’s used chillers tossed out on here every now and then. … Idk though personally I think OP should read up on what he wants to do and follow actual mechanics and principals and all that shit and not try anything that might be inherently dangerous.

2 Likes

Hah, I’m the OP man. I hope you’re wrong lol, it ain’t my first rodeo with building big chillers. Got a good chuckle from this one

FWIW, people running CLS or CO2 extractors are basically running refrigeration systems already, just need to apply the concepts

9 Likes

why not use propane/+natgas(methane) for refrigerants?

1 Like

Propane is commonly used (very common in RV refrigerators/AC units). I suspect methane has too high a vapor pressure to be useful other than as a second stage refrigerant. I’m actually going to do the calculation and see how it would match up. Of course, both of these refrigerants require all the additional consideration of being flammable

1 Like

Did this get built?

4 Likes

After reading this thread when it first started, I tracked down and stashed away a few refrigeration system handbooks. I seem to remember doing up an excel calculator for sizing/picking compressors.

I was planning to explore the area further myself when life stops kicking me in the teeth.

6 Likes

have you tried facing the other direction?

2 Likes

did you ever build this beast

1 Like