DIY Closed Loop Extractor

@kingofnights I tried to be cautious when opening the valve above material column, but the recovery vessel valve was wide open. Should this be done slowly or a quick open?
Left most valve wide open to let solvent into line, slowly opened right most to allow solvent to wash material column. Middle valve is for when I’m recovering butane after a blast/distill.

@cyclopath The column is 1.5" x 18". It’s posted to run 90-135 grams of material. I pushed just over a quarter pound, at like 123 grams of material, shake/popcorn buds. 5 cans of neon 11x at 300 mL a can. This wasn’t exactly what I washed over my material. From what I understood was I can distill more solvent than needed, just have to keep an eye on color change when doing the material wash.

Noticeable liquid butane, could see liquid in the splatter platter through the sight glass. Could see it bubbling up, evaporating off when put in the warm water bath.

My next thought was crunch some numbers and figure out minimum amount of butane I’d want to wash with.

cyclopath:

did you see anything like the same amount of liquid after washing material column?

there appeared to be similar amounts of butane in the collection pot after both distill and material wash.

possibly my column wasn’t cold enough to condense the butane into liquid for wash?

I don’t necessarily need a liquid and a vapor line do I? I can run them interchangeably? The recovery pot that came with my system only had one valve port.

1 Like

Did you put your recovery tank upside down when you did your run? Dumb question, but gotta start at the basics. If you don’t have a dip tube, you have to.

How much butane was in the collection tank when you started recovery? You had 1500ml to start with, your collection tank should have been pretty full, even with channeling at its worst, I’d say you should have a few grams of extracts at least.

No such thing as dumb!! I actually did not… I had read much and watch some videos of guys running. I never had seen them run the recover pot upside down. I’m going to guess 9/10, this is my issue.
I had put my recovery pot in a warm water bath to push the solvent through. I hadn’t even thought of condensing into liquid before the wash :sweat_smile:
I have my solvent sitting in a water bath now, should I let that cool down, invert and then shower material?

Again i recognize I should have had more visuals!! Cheers all

2 Likes

You can do it now, but your solvent doesn’t need to be that warm actually, just warmer than your collection vessel. You can use room temp solvent if your tank is on dry ice.

You can upgrade to a 2 port cap like this. The dip tube is a piece of ptfe tubing that’s fitted into the npt port so it doesn’t come out. It works really well for being ghetto rigged lol.

Took the price out, not sure what size your tanks are, that was for a 4" cap.

6 Likes

Had some left over distilled butane from “run”earlier. Trying to get that washed through. Collection pot is on DI and pulled a vacuum. Getting ready to invert the recovery pot and wash! Hoping for positive results! This community has been amazing!!

Too amazing. I will definitely be looking into this for future blasts. Definitely my speed :muscle:t3:

3 Likes

Good luck!

Let me know how it goes man! Message me anytime, I’m happy to answer any questions you have, if I don’t have the answers, we’ll try to figure it out together haha

2 Likes

Completely missed your response. I plan to do this myself soon. Just waiting on parts

Thats crazy that your tank doesnt have a diptube.

1 Like

Went from

To image

You guys are amazing. Thanks again guys. To growth and learning!

4 Likes

All those kits I’ve seen only come with a single port on the recovery tank.

1 Like

:clinking_glasses:

you’re giving me the vapors

From the girls in the tube…

3 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t able to articulate that “did you turn the tank upside down?

Glad somebody did.

The response times around here are phenomenal…

3 Likes

Trying to stray from the spoon, just some days of blasting and learning something new can be exhausting on the brain!

So true! This community is beyond astonishing with responses and knowledge!

I purchased this system from a heavily recommended member of the community. You’ve all see name, I’m sure. @Killa12345 That little exchange and plumbing was something I had over looked completely when becoming versed in the whole process. In time an upgrade is coming, for now we’ll get inverted.

1 Like

They work just fine that way, but there just needs to be a few different procedures.

I ran on a single port for a little bit. I am lazy though, and hate extra work, so the two port lid was a great upgrade.

The rig you got from killa is a good rig fer sure.

Here’s a two port lid, another 30 bucks or so and you have a new lid

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163741001219

3 Likes

Why are you using 2 site glasses? I’m trying to design my own CLS.

Your unit looks nice!

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s easier to see in the pot with two sights. You point a flashlight in one, and you can see the contents in the other.

9 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks!

2 Likes

right?

you only make that mistake once…

2 Likes