Disty help: wtf are these bubbles

THC distillation etoh crude. First pass first ball only. Seen them Consistently. Goes away in 2nd pass.

1 Like

I use MCt oil in my thermo probes as a heat transfer fluid. I think my probe went into the thermo well( full of mct), then straight into the boiling flask at one point when I was decarbing. Perhaps I didn’t clean it at that point and got mct oil in my crude…
perhaps then it evaporated and condensed…

Perhaps

Does it melt when you warm it?

Try winterizing it

1 Like

They don’t raise in heat. I haven’t been able to isolate one.

Material already winterized. They seem not to come over in 2nd pass…

missed a little heads or tails?
heads would be my guess.
guessing wildly…

2 Likes

They could be terpenes. We sometimes get them in the heads or 1st body receiver. Which we assumed were leftover terps.

I was also told it could be fats or lipids. However if they are fats or lipids I would assume you would be coming thru in every receiver throughout the run.

1 Like

I get them regularly, i think they are heavy terps or residual heads. Never get them when ran the 2nd time. Are you using hot condenser? @midsfactory

2 Likes

Im using water in my condenser so it’s 90c. Not technically hot condenser but that’s what I’m going for…

Thanks for all the help folks. I won’t worry too much about them and just keep pushing.

1 Like

Don’t mean to steal the thread but I’m looking for some distillate and found this but the bubbles up top threw me off I’m just starting off my business and it’s first liters I’m purchasing

Bubbles are most likely from a pour into that jar. Then vac sealed. Happens when I make jars up.

5 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking. Just bubbles in a highly viscous matrix that take a while to migrate to the top. I see that after I pour hot disty too. Not necessarily a contaminate!

3 Likes

That always happens to me when I vac seal jars.

as others have said likely just a small amount of heads. if youre going really fast youll pull over a bit of lower boiling impurity, and as your run continues your vac depth will increase volatilizing the small amount of lite that got caught in your collection.

1 Like

How does heads form trapped air pocket bubbles? Do you think this is heads?

i think this happens too, just not in this case. And I think youre right that your pic is trapped air.

When its happening in the still is when it may be heads. more likely the faster youre going, if you didnt devolitalize, etc.

1 Like

In the above posters pic, the bubbles are in a Mason jar, not the rf. That’s why I think its trapped air bubbles vs heads.

I think @YeahBet was responding to my original question/phhoto

@Demontrich

3 Likes

Looks nice idk about them air pockets