Distilling Without Winterizing

Hi all - recently had an interview with a larger hemp company that doesn’t winterize their CO2 crude prior to distillation.

Why would the consumer want lipids in their material? cosmetics industry consumers?

I personally would not want to run un winterized Co2 through distillation… It would be a pain in the ass to clean up and the distillate would be full of wax

3 Likes

right, me neither. also, with the extra lipids present wouldn’t it effect your yields? potency of your final product?

haven’t ran the numbers but my intuition feels like it would create a lower quality product/be less efficient long term

1 Like

Definitely less efficient because heat energy is being wasted to vaporize the lipids in your crude if you’re not winterizing. It’s not a step you want to skip, especially for distillate.

Quality will obviously be worse.

2 Likes

I run all my crude with out winterizing. I use the hot tek to help as well. It really makes things easier.

3 Likes

Actually running unwinterized bho first pass and then winterizing, then running second pass yielded me good results. Im not sure how co2 crude would be though

3 Likes

That’s interesting as hell, do you have any idea why that would be the case?

I was reading a paper last week that may relate.
https://doi.org/10.1021/ed061p299

I always do water washes to correct ph of c02 before distilling. I ran c02 before with out water washes and ran into conversion problems like if I was running powders in the flask.

a lot of waxes have a high enough boiling point that they will remain in your residue. however, some absolutely come over.

your extraction method is going to be a critical variable in this scenario, because different extraction methods have differing amounts and types of wax impurities.

anyone whos doing this is doing it to save money. theyre absolutely not doing it for any reason that is beneficial to the consumer.

furthermore i would consider it unscrupulous to not remove a known impurity that, when inhaled, causes lung damage.

5 Likes

I’ve ran a few dozen kgs of less than winterized co2, rewinterized and redistilled and it deff looks nice after that second pass.

1 Like

Winterizing distillate has always turned it red ime

1 Like

i imagined it had everything to do with cutting costs and nothing to do w the consumer. smh.

1 Like

You can remove the waxes and lipids etc. with a membrane system at room temperature. No winterization. Thanks, gregh@heyesfilters.com

Using ac/ao/celite turns pink/red.

2 Likes

Interesting. But i just winterized. Through a buchner with filter papers.

hot tek?

signed,
a noob

Hot
Condenser
Tek

Check that hour glass up top for a TON of valuable info

2 Likes

I’ve run into red co2 crude/distillate I believe that’s an indication that the pH is low. Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

I have done this on purpose. The function was to get THC distillate that stays solid at higher temperatures

1 Like