Distilling THC from Vegetable Glycerin

So I made a glycerin tincture using 99.9℅ Food Grade Glycerin and a magic butter machine and I was wondering if anyone has distilled or fractioned THC from vegetable glycerin.

I destroyed $1500 worth of isolate when I was just starting out by making mayonaise out of it if that counts for anything.

I was trying to make liposomes with a sonicator and phosal53 which is a blend of PC and MCT- the water added ended up making something that looks exactly like mayonaise cause thats pretty much exactly what it was… cbd infused coconut mayonaise… and I knew it wasnt supposed to do that… it broke and I did my chef thing and kept adding things back and forth until I had a literal giant bowl of mayonaise.

having little to no experience with cannabis distillation at the time I tried to distill the cbd off with a harbor freight vac pump, my shitty leaky ebay glass setup, and wrapped the whole thing in aluminum foil.

it was absolutely desperate and an absolute failure. I boiled the mayonaise until it charred to the side of the flask. the water distilled through, there were some weird streaks of white… I ran the condenser on ice water.

idk why this reminded me of that most shameful day but its the first time I’ve thought of it since then… probably a major reason why I hate sonicators so much.

I have a feeling that the VG would vaporize pretty easy?

18 Likes

Thank you for making my day with that story lol

6 Likes

oh man shitty, look at you now though

1 Like

Omg forgive me bd474cd9e20b27481e4901799a78fd50--mayonnaise-james-darcy :sweat_smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

add enough parts of water until you see the oil crash out of the VG. the VG should also at this point taste like water and not sweet. Then, siphon the water off the top and add enough heptane or hexane to your oil. follow up with another water wash of the hept/hexane solution to be safe.

you absolutely dont want to distill the vg off. there are some nasty by-products such as acrolin

7 Likes

So vaping vg is also negative?

1 Like

pretty much, but usually vaping happens at lower temperatures so youre theoretically ok. with this logic youre theoretically ok to distill off the vg. But good luck telling your consumers that they are theoretically ok to consume the oil

4 Likes

Lol.
Hey guys I have this new dope product that is theoretically safe for consumption. Just sign this release real quick

3 Likes

That was the answer I was hoping for. Thank You

2 Likes

“Analyses showed that PEG 400 produced significantly higher levels of acetaldehyde and formaldehyde than PG, MCT, and VG. Formaldehyde production was also significantly greater in PG compared with MCT and VG. Acrolein production did not differ significantly across the agents.”

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2016.0337?rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&journalCode=acm

The scientific journal isn’t exactly “Nature” but I found it helpful!

5 Likes

Dump it in the data dump :+1:

3 Likes

So what if the tincture has been emusified? Whats the best way to break the emulsion before extracting with a suitable alkane?

Why do people keeping trying to mix cannabinoids with vegetable glycerin I don’t understand why people insist on it being a good idea

1 Like

That’s what we did 5 yrs ago for making carts.

Ecig still use pg/vg

Yeah I remember the stone ages of ejuice cart tech. I won’t miss those carts with the little straw down the side and no chamber in the middle.

But we’re smarter now. VG and PG belong in the trash

1 Like

This is the paper that ruined the use of PG/VG as a vape diluent and lead to people vaping MCT and Vitamin E acetate, as if those were somehow better.

It’s important to note that the levels of “toxic” compounds measured in this paper are so very low that it is probably insignificant in terms of real world vaping health risks. I wrote a longer rant about this somewhere on this forum, I think. Surely you breath much greater quantities of these toxic compounds by driving around in traffic, or living in Los Angeles, than from vaping.

I’m not advertising for the use of PG/VG as diluents, but they are probably the safest if you have to use something. It’s a shame that these have been demonized to the point that people are willing to put some mysterious “proprietary blend” into vapes instead of PG/VG, that nicotine users have been consuming safely for many years. It’s just classic “hippie logic” bullshit to be frank.

2 Likes