Distilling terps from HTE

I’ve got some non CRC HTE sitting around the lab. It’s super flavorful and has incredible nose, but it’s too dark for carts. I’m thinking about setting up a simple fractional distillation under vacuum and starting out room temp or colder. Any advice on parameters for actually capturing the good stuff?

3 Likes

You are going to want to limit oxygen exposure as much as possible, terpenes will typically degrade into disgusting-smelling byproducts when exposed to oxygen under high vacuum or temperature (in my experience). If you are really set on distilling it then make sure you backfill and re-pressurize your system with an inert gas like Argon or Nitrogen, but you may be unhappy with the results.

Also ask yourself, is it really too dark for cartridges? It may look dark in a jar, but once it goes in a cartridge it gets spread very thin over a reflective silver surface, so it will appear considerably lighter. You can also mix HTE with distillate to lighten the color, assuming that you can still maintain the desired flavor.

6 Likes

Distilling HTE in a short path will save all the heavier weight terps and toss all the lighter weight terps into the cold trap. Some times the cold traps terps smell alright but most of the time they smell like fish fart. Usually you can capture all the goodies before hitting 120c. I used a 5L short path for my HTE runs so take that into mind

2 Likes

Some folks on here were having success under super deep vacuum and a -80c condenser. You’ll manage to actually keep your voliatiles that way. I’d say throw some nitrogen into the mix as well to make sure they’re not reacting in the presence of oxygen once they hit higher temps. But generally the rule of thumb is, they won’t smell as nice as when they haven’t been distilled.

I never went that low in temperature. But I’ve distilled boatloads of terps and used them just fine. They won’t smell good, but they taste great in a cart :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

The tool that removes and purifies terpenes from a sauce solution is the amazing spd7. It will pull the cleanest most pure terpene fraction you will ever have. I have pics and videos on my ig that show the quality. Satisfaction guaranteed on the machine or your money back!

8 Likes

I’ve asked this before but what makes it good for distilling terps?

Ultra short path

6 Likes

Ultra short path

5 Likes

Ultra short path

7 Likes

Ultra short path

6 Likes

Ultra. Short. Path.

6 Likes

uLtRa ShOrT pAtH

7 Likes

:exploding_head:I’m Super interested in this TOOL tell me more about it

1 Like

Ultra.

Short.

Path.

6 Likes

This came from black ass sauce. After hervestjng thier diamonds

4 Likes

Ultra
Short
Path

4 Likes

Isn’t an ultra short path just called a “wiped film evaporator”?

1 Like