Distilling Rosin? Yeah?

The rosin I put in the Yocan was both press from flower as well as bubble hash. The only way to make a clean product from hash is by using full melt. The bubble I bought was flippin dirty as fuck and only good for dabbing

I hate rosin. I’d rather smoke open blasted hand whipped cable box top purged bho tbh.

And I had a homie got a rosin press when they were the next “big thing”.

He pressed nugs that he grew. Never made anything good and he tried for a while before he sold the press. What he made that was decent he couldn’t even sell lol.

1 Like

I process alot of rosin all done by people who care and know what there doing and the amount of fats etc, it is usually equal or more depending on how nice the bho crude is rhey easiy just as many if not more of waxes etc in rosin as in bho

2 Likes

What do you mean by process rosin? What else is done to it after pressing usually?

1 Like

Turning it into distilate after no one wants it because if all the reasons everyone listed above.

5 Likes

For the record though, I’ve never seen anyone claim that rosin is less fatty than bho. I don’t even believe that. Also depends what/how you’re pressing. High micron and high heat will yield high fats if they’re present in the starting material. I can see the difference in my banger between a 160u press and a 25u press. Anything pressed through a 25u does not leave very much tarring on my banger.

1 Like

Im not fonna argue about this, bur i have seen the afgwr effects of top notch rosin made feom bubble and freeze dried. It contains just as much if not rhe same as low qualiry bho. Have you? Have tou ever rake 30 liters and rurned to distilate with the same anount of loss to fats and waxes. I personally could give a shit about rosin, but the people i have processed for were the biggest rosin company in norcal and when winterized there was no difference between low grade crude. If you enjoy then by all means continue on

3 Likes

The difference is there was no solvent used to extract it in the first place? Not being sarcastic I honestly thought so.

1 Like

No solvent doesnt mean its clean, the solvent is the onky way to ckean jt up.

4 Likes

You’re definitely right there. I just thought the entire appeal of Rosin extracted distillate was that it was theoretically cleaner. Wouldn’t that mean 1 less pass of soaking your biomass in solvent? Also out of curiosity, is dewaxibg/winterizatiob before distillation only done because it would be hard to remove the leftover wax from your boiling flask after distillation? Or would it actually interfere with the distillation process?

1 Like

It goes through the exact same process as any other crude, pre processing and 2 passes and ill have it scrore mid 90’s thc

3 Likes

If you distill fatty crude, it will co-distill with your thc. You will have fatty distillate. Your fats may affect the tension of your boiling flask by making your solution thicker and less pure, but at the boiling point of thc the fats should be a molten liquid which would not provide much tension in my opinion.

2 Likes

In your experience do you know if you yield enough terpenes from distillation to actually warrant reintroducing those exact same terps you get from your biomass back into your distillate? Or do you end up getting a jumbled mess of terps and volatiles you wouldn’t want to mix back into your dist?

I’ve read that you have to further purge your solvent after roto evapping your solvent in a vac oven and apparently the only alternative to that is to decarb your crude after roto evap instead, which will kill all terps.

So main question is, is it worth distilling the terps for reintroduction? And is the yield of terps from the same biomass you’re yielding thc from decent enough to have a good ratio when you reintroduce them?

Sorry for all the questions. I tried to condense them as well as possible. (No pun intended but kinda)

1 Like

If you want to distill your terps and have them taste good that is going to require more chemistry knowledge. If you simply run an Spd and collect your terpenes, you will not have anything worth keeping.

You don’t want any heat involved when harvesting terpenes. There are many ways to accomplish this. If you want my tek for HTE or high terpene extract dm $

3 Likes

Now if u pressed that 17% yield hash, it will most likely turn into 5-7% yield of rosin. Cant compare hash yields to oil yields, just saying
Also technically terpenes are a solvent and that’s how rosin works. The terps are being used as a solvent to help assist the thc out of the rosin bags

2 Likes

Does your tek still maximize yields for both thc and terpenes? Or do you sacrifice one or the other in doing so?

1 Like

Hey

Don’t know where you’re from.

And I’m sure it’s been said before.

But I can almost guarantee you’ll make more money selling that rosin than you would distilling it.

I got about a 50% return on my rosin distilling.

Even cheap rosin sells (locally) for $5-6/g. Distillate sells for $8-9. (I’m in Canada).

But chances are you’ll make more $$ just selling your stuff straight up.

3 Likes

My tek uses butane :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Maybe. I don’t know anybody that will buy rosin anymore

2 Likes

I was still planning on washing the leftover rosin cakes and combining the leftover extracts with the rosin material before distilling to get that extra bit you lose to rosin extracting. Still not economic? Just wondering.

1 Like