Distilling out Etoh for Canna Sugar

No it makes a milky emulsion that is more or less stable depending on how much surfectant is used

4 Likes

I want to say thank you all for the advice!

I’ve had a crazy sinus infection for the last couple days, though no covid according to the test at least. I am better enough to order some ingredients,

That looks like most of it comes out when you drink it, seems way better than the sugar. It looks like it requires way less volume of oil than the butter I’ve done before in coffee as well. That’s with no Maltodextrin?

That sounds good too! Gonna have to try both ways. I have got a pound or two of sunflower lecithin already. That mix mostly stays homogenized when stored at room temps?

I should probably search out the recipe rather than ask for an estimate on what ratio of ingredients to use to get a milky emulsion?
:mask: :man_scientist:

I’ll probably make a post about my recipe in the coming weeks. Working on scaling it up right now and sending samples to KCA this week to check how homogenous it really is :grin: this recipe is a good start if your interested in making a THC infused sweetener type product: CannaDrip Water-Soluble THC Syrup

3 Likes

Awesome! I hope it does the trick! You’ve probably seen (this article). I’ll check out that post, water soluble THC syrup would be a nice thing to have in the tool box for sure.

1 Like

Bought a Corning PC-420. It and beakers should show up tomorrow. Going to try making the CannaDrip recipe and since I’ve got maltodextrin I’ll try to integrate that into a test batch of the CannaDrip somewhere in the process, maybe before the lecithin

Also: I had a friend give me some stainless steel alcohol stills and columns, in addition to what I’m getting myself. There is a 3 gallon stainless kettle with 2" sanitary column and condensers, can I use that to reclaim alcohol, maybe with a hot water bath and no vacuum? I’m looking at making a gallon or two of extract wash each run, recover alcohol, then using the extract in edibles. I am concerned that the heat needed to get vapor through the still might be enough to degrade the extract over time, but I don’t even really know how long it would take in my situation or if using material that hasn’t been de-carbed would work ok to then finish de-carbing on a magnetic stirrer-hotplate. I’m guessing it will be quicker and more electrically efficient to use the lab vacuum and glassware…with a large flask on the stirrer hotplate?

I’m not sure if this will get any attention after letting this thread sit for so long but I need some advice on ethanol recovery again. To review, I’m an amateur.

I made an etoh still out of a 15gal keg with ferrules silver soldered in. It’s using a 2" tri-clamp column and stainless shotgun and defleg to get etoh for cold washing.

I’m looking to recover etoh from the wash, about 2-5 gallons per run. Making clean tasting edibles and maybe an extract after vacuum filtering and recovering etoh.

I may have scaled out of the glassware I have though.

If I want to run a few gallons at once is there a way to use something like two five gallon kegs and sanitary tubing distillation parts to do vacuum etoh recovery with a WOB-L?

I was going to get one of those little WOB-L pumps off ebay, I think they are rated for ~100torr. At 100 torr I won’t need tygon type tubing, the stuff from home depot will do the job?

I found this but I’m still ‘not sure’?:
Budget Vacuum tubing source - #6 by goldleaf_scientific?

Which of the dozens of ethanol recovery threads have you read?

See Eg See: Using moonshine still for evaporation and Who is king of EToH Recovery?

Show us your still…and explain why you can’t use that for solvent recovery…

Because your crude is then stuck in there?

Add a pour spout. Leave a little liqour. Finish purge while decarbing.

Why would you need a vacuum still for edibles?

You need that decarbed anyway. Nobody sees the color.

If the 15gal still you built is too big, make a smaller one. If you want to add vac, do so. The more you suck the colder you need to get your condenser. Otherwise you loose solvent.

1 Like

Pic from vinegar cleaning run. Will the silver solder be a problem? Stay Brite 8 brand

It uses direct heating, water heater elements. It does have a bottom drain, the keg is inverted leading to a valve.

The steam jacket steel barrel I saw on looks nice! Is that the best way to heat the thing? Don’t need an agitator I guess?

I would like to try to make a filtered smokable extract along with the edibles.

At 100 torr am I going to need more than cold water in the shotgun condenser?

That would be the issue with recovering your 190 in there.

You need indirect heat. Baine marie style is easier to fabricate than jacketed, but jacketed can be had cheap.

Pulling a slight vacuum to drop the evaporator temp can help when using a jacketed system with water/glycol. Allows for a greater delta t which make things work better.

See: Ethanol recovery maths

3 Likes

Cool that sounds very doable.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-vapor-pressure-of-ethanol-vs-the-normal-boiling-point-temperature-Reprinted-with_fig2_318127604

100 torr == 100mm Hg

So ~ 30C boiling/condensing temp. Which means you will need cold water, and more of it than you would at 760torr.

1 Like

I meant to report back about syrup too and want to say that the canna syrup thread for for the emulsion drink worked great! I found that switching out bulk Hershey’s chocolate syrup for the honey, syrup and
Kool-aid also works great; seems to stay homogenized better than the honey mix and there’s no need to skim anything off the surface. Been adding an equal volume of coconut oil to the extract before doing lecithin.

1 Like

Reckon you can find said thread and quote that statement?

(Thusly)

‘Cause I got no clue which one you’re referring to :shushing_face:

I should have said “cannadrip”

1 Like

I figured out what you meant cyclopath and added my input on to the Cannadrip thread.

I’m looking around for the best ethanol wash cleanup methods. Cold washing trim in 95% etoh currently. I am wondering if I should use a buchner filter or make a filter out of a sanitary spool?

I have been re-reading threads about cleaning up etoh wash. Looking for a list of options. Seems like AC, AO, T-5, celite, clays…? Isomerization from bentonite sounds like something to avoid. Seems like AC can make things too acidic, I guese there’s neutral AC that might be the thing to use. I’m looking for cleaned but not really looking for clear though.

Read some threads … still looking for what’s current best practice and best for my purpose

We usually make our “cosmic creamer”! We use half and half due to fat content. Works perfectly.

2 Likes

How high is the water level in a baine marie still, like with that steel barrel? Does it reach the side walls of the keg a little or is it mostly submerged?

What does something ~5gal cost jacketed when cheap?

Planning to to do this with a 5 gallon keg to be able to lift it out easier. 55 or 30 gallon steel barrel would be a lot of thermal mass to get to temp if the water level is very high. Trying to decide what sort of barrel or keg to put a 5 gallon keg into.

Turns out this is a very interesting question.

If the keg is submerged, you’ve got a lot more water to heat up, and while some will evaporate it probably won’t boil while you’ve still got alcohol in the keg.

If the water is a little BELOW the keg, it will BOIL, and in a well designed baine marie, will condense and give that heat to the keg. So you don’t have to heat as much water, and can access the extra energy delivered by vapor.

Which makes it go quite a bit faster…

I don’t have enough hrs on this particular still to give you useful data like how often do you need to top it up. It was literally what I could throw together while we waited for parts so I could build something more appropriate. It’s buried in bikes out in my shop somewhere atm.

Edit: shit wrong still.

Yeah lot of hrs on RSOsie. She would absolutely have run more efficiently if set up as described, she wasn’t. There wasn’t enough vertical hight in there to have the water below the keg and still covering the heating element.

I thought you were referring to her younger cousin Maria.

It was probably @tweedledew who clued me in on the right way to run a baine marie

2 Likes

I guess I could add a sight glass to know when to refill. Wondering if there’s a best auto top up to use?

Both RSOsie and Marie are inspiring me to try this out. Cool, I’ll check out their posts. Thank you for that very useful response on the water level!

I mean this says 100c…max:
https://a.co/d/7suey89