Distillation Setup check

Was just wondering if you all could take a gander at my preliminary setup and tell me if I’m doing something wrong somewhere or see some room for improvement?

The male to male adapter to mate the cold trap to the rest of the system is in route. I’m going to scoop up a Ptfe thermometer adapter and kangaroo thermometer for the head temp from usalabs.

Any pointers/critiques you could give would be appreciated!

1 Like

Something to put your coldtrap flask also on dry ice
Take of the gl fittings no need to be on the condensor

1 Like

Where is your digital vacuum gauge? Can’t start without that. And what kind of pump are you using?

1 Like

Also glass thermometer wells, they make a huge difference and are super cheap.

1 Like

I have an insulated bowl ordered for the flask on the cold trap. Forgot to mention that.

Im still trying to figure out how I’m going to fill and cap the heat transfer fluid in my condensor since I’m using heat tape instead of the usual pump/heater/fluid setup.

I’m typing on it now. It just wasn’t in the picture.

Alcatel 2021i

I’m using a thermowell on the boiling flask already. Didn’t seem like there was one short enough to fit in this head.

You might break your swing arm setup like this. The short path isn’t supported properly at all. And the angles to the trap are wonky. You will probably snap off the Laminar portion or your cow.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll order some more stands and support it in a couple different places. Appreciate it.

It looks like the weight of the cold trap is supported by the flask and jack. Try getting the ring clamp under there, and consider strapping that bellows to the wall for support. You may want to take the rubber off the clamp so it doesn’t melt and create a nasty mess.
And be careful capping the condenser - you don’t want to build pressure in there.

1 Like

You can leave it empty, or empty it when your starting to get hot

1 Like

Interesting you don’t think I need a transfer fluid in the condenser?

Thank you. Excellent recommendations I will take and follow!

Are you do hot condenser

That’s the plan at least. That heat tape should heat up to whatever temp I need.

Ya that should be just fine, it will some what do its own hot condenser if its empty and the head temp will be about the temp of your condenser. I often just empty mine during the run

1 Like

Cool. I was just considering using mineral oil as I couldn’t justify spending 100 bucks on duratherm when I only need a touch of it.

Maybe I just leave it like it is and give it a go.

Cant hurt, before i started using duratherm i would just empty the water and it worked just fine

1 Like